Cycling club etiquette - other riders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
None of the above. Talk to some of them, be sociable, enjoy others company for a short time, cycling isn't all about being quicker / slower / competitive. Maybe we are a little strange in this part of the world but we actually enjoy conversation with other cyclists. Don't look at it as though it is a problem.

Sounds nice, but can't say that I met many sociable cyclists around here. Your lucky to get a greeting from some. Too busy trying to look like a pro team. Strange seeing as the scenery around these parts is very pleasant & often quite relaxing.

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
Sounds nice, but can't say that I met many sociable cyclists around here. Your lucky to get a greeting from some. Too busy trying to look like a pro team..

My wife and I have the same experience with a club from a shop in Edinburgh. We are often heading in to town as they are heading out so we sometimes pass twice. They seem to have several groups out as we pass them one after another and the fast guys (all in full power ranger kit) NEVER acknowledge us if we are on our tourers, but a few will say hi if we are on road bikes. They also seem to find it difficult to single out on narrow cycle paths (so much time spent on closed road stages with motor bikes in front and a team car behind them I expect :smile:)

I always put it down to them being right on the limit so to move their jaw muscles (or even to raise a hand) might tip them over their lactic threshold. My wife has a more succinct explanation. :biggrin:

It contrasts with another couple we see most weekends. The greetings are getting more and more effusive as we meet every week!

Reactions: mjr

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Only took till the second page to degenerate into a full on waving thread!

:hello:

AMKY3T_2471987b.jpg

Attachments

• AMKY3T_2471987b.jpg
    AMKY3T_2471987b.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 11

RedRider

Pulling through
In the same place I'd probably do as TotallyFixed suggests, instigate a natter then if I didnt feel welcomed/fancy sticking around, press on, probably making a bit of a joke about seeing them later when they overtook me. Social awkwardness diffused.

I'm a slowish cyclist, so a club group will usually pass me.

What I hate is when 2 dozen whip pass you, so close you could kiss them, but only the first one or two say anything. The others just come by very close and silent; so close if you do a shoulder check you are at risk of bumping heads. Give plenty of room, or say something - please!

400bhp

Guru
Just ride your bike. Don't think about it, bar getting in their way and riding "obtusely".

We met an obtuse rider on saturday. He clearly didn't like being overtaken so decided do speed up when i was level with him. We went past, he sucked half a wheel for a mile, then blurted something as he went past and tried to cycle away. Weirdo.

Top Bottom