Cycling Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I ride an Electra Townie 21d if I want conversation. Since they are mostly seen among the western and southwestern states, I get a lot of what kind of bike is that?, and where can I get one? sort of conversation.

ElectraTownie21DonIronwood_edited-1_zps2ae18674.jpg

LimeBurn

Über Member
I dont find there are much mtb vs roadie vs club rider etc around here being out in the middle of nowhere, so I nod and say hello to anyone on whatever bike they're on. As far as other etiquette goes just don't do anything that you wouldn't want to see yourself - I find that helps me as I hate seeing cyclists riding dangerously or without respect for other road users when I'm in the car so why should I be any different when I'm on 2 wheels.

I tend to just give a nod to anyone I pass, MTB, roadie or otherwise also the odd runner too.
The club riders near me tend to be quite friendly got a number of nods from a group of around 20 the other week and another invited me to go with them as we stopped at the same place.

I try and thank any motorist (nod or wave) who gives me right of way or generally just acts in a humane and respectful manner towards me

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
To be serious I always give a raised hand from the hoods to a car overtaking that has waited behind me . I have no idea if they see it but its no extra effort on my part and my Mother would clip me around the ear if I forgot my manners :scratch:
Ive noticed a lot more tolerance on the roads lately . Maybe that's due to the press publishing the deaths in London or just me .

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
To be serious I always give a raised hand from the hoods to a car overtaking that has waited behind me . I have no idea if they see it but its no extra effort on my part and my Mother would clip me around the ear if I forgot my manners :scratch:
Ive noticed a lot more tolerance on the roads lately . Maybe that's due to the press publishing the deaths in London or just me .
From recent driving experience, it's actually quite rare that cyclists acknowledge drivers. Motorcyclists seem more aware and responsive to helpful driving. If you move over when you're stuck in a jam at a pinch point to let a cyclist or motorcyclist filter past, it's only the motorcyclist who give a gesture of thanks.

Which seems odd to me - I tend to cycle with a lot of social interaction. I can be all warm and smiley with the thumbs up, the wave, etc, I can also go into foul-mouthed diatribe mode, depending on what just happened....

jack smith

Veteran
im from the north east, and cycle mainly around durham/sunderland and newcastle, but my main route's are to consett (c2c route) and durham city centre, and all roadies round here will give the nod of a head and hello, ive found some mtb'ers are ignorant as hell, even complaining as i overtake them on the c2c routes but the majority always give a friendly hello, although they all seem to be over 50 round here lol, the only bad experience with a roadie was dropping him on a steep climb with what looked like a cervelo p3 tri bike (was deffo a cervelo anyway), on my old viking cheapo road bike in a pair of adidas shorts and a hoodie with a bergen on my back on my way to do some shooting, he was furious! to the point of shouting... that is just the kind of elitism that puts me off some sorts. but generally around here everyone is great, til you get the students in newcastle centre who ride very dangerously on their fixies.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't see any harm in a quick nod or a hand taken off the bars to a driver who has been even slightly considerate. I might even smile :eek: . It doesn't cost me anything, it's an investment in the future. It's got nothing to do with showing gratitude for actually being allowed to be on the road . Just manners really.

Big Nick

I nod or say hi to most cyclists I see

I even got a hi today from a lad in full road racer mode while I was cycling to work on my old hack which was nice!

Justiffa

When i'm cycling thru the commercial areas (where its bz and the drivers seem to be wishing me off the roads), I'm just focused on getting thru with minimum disturbance to everyone else. but on quieter roads I love waving to other riders, while drivers and pedestrians get a big smile and the occasional hello :biggrin:

Oh i'm mostly a roadie, with lycra & sometimes my club jersy :bicycle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't see any harm in a quick nod or a hand taken off the bars to a driver who has been even slightly considerate. I might even smile :eek: . It doesn't cost me anything, it's an investment in the future. It's got nothing to do with showing gratitude for actually being allowed to be on the road . Just manners really.

Likewise. Lots of steep narrow roads around here so I am often holding cars up. My view is that if I can just do some little gesture to show a motorist that I acknowledge I have held him up, maybe he won't be impatient with the next cyclist. FWIW I have never been abused by a motorist I have held up, maybe it's karma

Top Bottom