Cycling Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
11me-rollin.jpg

guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-disregard-haters.jpg

they-see-me-rollin-demotivational-poster-1239660702.jpg

they-see-me-rollin-demotivational-poster-1214383183.jpg

And finally:

haters+gonna+hate.+meh_367f54_3213750.jpg

I got pointed at and laughed at by a man on an expensive bike a couple of weeks ago while cycling around Peterborough. I assume he's read my posts on cyclechat.
He's just a w******, happens to me too (well no-ones laughed at me yet, but but quit a few what the f*** are you doing stares), but then the other day an elderly (well I presume he is as I am sure he said he's been riding 60 years) chap on 80m ride rode with me for a few miles and gave me some tips, about cadence which I am getting about right, but it turns out my seat was a little low, I thought it plenty high enough. I changed that later and it has seemed to make a difference, though I only did 10m like that as the spoke broke.

MattMM

Newbie update. Based on my near 2 month experience (I am a large, 6' 3" "big-boned" dude on a hybrid with non-sexy gear)

Roadies in peletons (i.e. 3 or more) - always say hello as they scoot past
Single roadies - 20% returned greeting success rate if that
Domestic pairing - father/son or couples on MTBs/hybrids - almost 100% returned
Fellow hybrid/flat bar single riders - 90% ish returned

This is in Scotland, so bear in mind we're naturally friendly and talkative. So the moral is, single roadies are antisocial gits wherever....:smile:

Newbie update. Based on my near 2 month experience (I am a large, 6' 3" "big-boned" dude on a hybrid with non-sexy gear)

Roadies in peletons (i.e. 3 or more) - always say hello as they scoot past
Single roadies - 20% returned greeting success rate if that
Domestic pairing - father/son or couples on MTBs/hybrids - almost 100% returned
Fellow hybrid/flat bar single riders - 90% ish returned

This is in Scotland, so bear in mind we're naturally friendly and talkative. So the moral is, single roadies are antisocial gits wherever....:smile:
My OH and I play a game when we are out cycling. If we have had a certain level of 'no hellos' from cyclists, I (because I cycle in front of him) will pick a 'target' for him to get a hello from and he sets about getting a smile, wave or hello out of said target. I award points for his effort and the end result. It can be hugely entertaining if we are on different styles of bike to the 'target'. It also helps sometimes to relieve the 'they haven't had their morning café stop yet' symptoms we often see around here on a pre-10:30am Sunday morning ride... Riders seem to cheer up much more after a café stop for some reason!

wisdom

Guru
Everyone on a bike gets a raised hand and or an appropriate "morning or evening"
if they dont respond its their loss but they will still get the same greeting next time I see them

young Ed

Veteran
i say hi or afternoon(regardless of time of time of day!) to any real cyclist but those on beaten up BSO's that just drag themselves to work i don't bother with as they don't think much of us real clyclists anyway generally
Cheers Ed

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I went out on my Roadie today and made a point of ignoring everyone apart from a small child that said " nice bike Mr " I made a point of sneering at him .

You know what they say . If the rather expensive aerodynamic hat fits .....

Mr Peps

Ah the traditional rodies don't say hello to me theme. This could run and run.

To me it's a shared interest thing. If I'm out in the country on a stupidly expensive bike wearing unflattering lycra I will do the 'cool' barely perceptible nod to anyone else on a stupidly expensive bike etc. Always a good one to do because if you get no response you can tell yourself they didn't notice the nod.

If you're on a hybrid or MTB I will say hello back but never initiate it.
There is a very good reason roadies won't say hello to you on a MTB or hybrid. If you are out on a recovery ride (or warming up or down) and you pass a MTB then you just have to put more effort in to make sure you leave them behind.

So if a roadie doesn't say hello he's not being rude it's just that he's thinking it's b******* like you that made my legs hurt in the past

Top Bottom