Cycling Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since becoming a roadie i have been hearing voices in my head that are getting more and more frequent and intense!!

Recently whilst on Wiggle i was buying some shades and the voice inside my head says "are you sure you will look cool in those?". Good point i thought and went on to buy the most expensive Oakley shades i could find. Sure to make me part of the elite!!
Also when i pass other, slightly lesser/slower, cyclists the same voice in my head gives me instruction as to who deserves my recognition. "He's wearing the right gear and is clearly part of the elite, give him a slight head nod". So i do as the voice says.

"Another slow mountain biker. Look slightly to the left and ignore him. Do not give in to the urge to be nice to him. He is not as good as you!!". Again i must comply.

It's so strange as i find i am a really nice person off the bike but as soon as i saddle up on the roadie, i feel somehow superior. :troll:

byegad

Legendary Member
Out in the countryside I speak to every passing cyclist. Usually just 'Good morning.' or afternoon depending what it is. Those that ignore me, usually in team strip on a road bike, may hear my comment of miserable bugger as they pass. Just a nod or smile seems not too much to ask. Not all Roadies are like that but so many are and given they carry next to nothing they really should be sociable as a breakdown will leave them waddling on their racing shoes and pushing the bike!

Yesterday coming down from Tan Hill Inn to Reeth I stopped to err... admire the view, let the brakes cool (And take a leak.) when, as I got back on the trike an MTB rider pulled up alongside heaving for breath, a clever trick as it was downhill and I'd just clocked 41mph! 'Have you got a pump?' He asked. I had and pumped up his soft rear tyre for him. Now I ride a recumbent trike and if I'd adopted the Roadie attitude I'd have said nothing and ridden off leaving him 1500 ft up and 8+miles from the nearest chance of a lift or help. We are vulnerable road users and should stick together.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Out in the countryside I speak to every passing cyclist. Usually just 'Good morning.' or afternoon depending what it is. Those that ignore me, usually in team strip on a road bike, may hear my comment of miserable bugger as they pass. Just a nod or smile seems not too much to ask. Not all Roadies are like that but so many are and given they carry next to nothing they really should be sociable as a breakdown will leave them waddling on their racing shoes and pushing the bike!

Yesterday coming down from Tan Hill Inn to Reeth I stopped to err... admire the view, let the brakes cool (And take a leak.) when, as I got back on the trike an MTB rider pulled up alongside heaving for breath, a clever trick as it was downhill and I'd just clocked 41mph! 'Have you got a pump?' He asked. I had and pumped up his soft rear tyre for him. Now I ride a recumbent trike and if I'd adopted the Roadie attitude I'd have said nothing and ridden off leaving him 1500 ft up and 8+miles from the nearest chance of a lift or help. We are vulnerable road users and should stick together.

We carry what we need to cover most basic mechanicals! Ever seen a roadie empty out the contents of the jersey pockets? lol - A lot of stuff fits in there!

I doubt many roadie's would actually ignore a request like that, just because someone doesn't readily say hi for whatever reason, doesn't mean they are a complete dick that would leave someone out in the middle of nowhere on purpose.

Since becoming a roadie i have been hearing voices in my head that are getting more and more frequent and intense!!

Recently whilst on Wiggle i was buying some shades and the voice inside my head says "are you sure you will look cool in those?". Good point i thought and went on to buy the most expensive Oakley shades i could find. Sure to make me part of the elite!!
Also when i pass other, slightly lesser/slower, cyclists the same voice in my head gives me instruction as to who deserves my recognition. "He's wearing the right gear and is clearly part of the elite, give him a slight head nod". So i do as the voice says.

"Another slow mountain biker. Look slightly to the left and ignore him. Do not give in to the urge to be nice to him. He is not as good as you!!". Again i must comply.

It's so strange as i find i am a really nice person off the bike but as soon as i saddle up on the roadie, i feel somehow superior. :troll:

slightly worrying....

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I acknowledge most cyclists I come across be it roadie, mtb'er or hybrid rider:hello: . If they do not respond I find muttering miserable twat under my breath usually removes any latent negative feelings I may have towards them. :whistle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I acknowledge most cyclists I come across be it roadie, mtb'er or hybrid rider:hello: . If they do not respond I find muttering miserable twat under my breath usually removes any latent negative feelings I may have towards them. :whistle:
To be fair there's no reason why anybody should acknowledge anybody else on the road, if they don't they don't, that's just how people are. far better to be happy if somebody responds!

Fab Foodie

We carry what we need to cover most basic mechanicals! Ever seen a roadie empty out the contents of the jersey pockets? lol - A lot of stuff fits in there!

I doubt many roadie's would actually ignore a request like that, just because someone doesn't readily say hi for whatever reason, doesn't mean they are a complete dick that would leave someone out in the middle of nowhere on purpose.

IME, most cyclists will help another cyclist IF they feel they are able to give assistance. Roadies will generally carry minimal kit to fix minimal probs and it may not be appropriate to other peoples repairs. I would nearly always stop.

Fab Foodie

I dont get the whole "roadie" thing, I'm cycling on the road so get a road bike, I need the cycling shorts other wise I can get pants, and get them stuck in the chain and over heat, or wear short and have my balls pop out. I got a cycle top so I can put some food and waterproof in the back pockets. I also have shaved leggs because I swim. So im a roadie?
Roadie is just a stereotype, a shorthand, I don't think we should get too hung-up on it.
I call myself a roadie, bacause I only ride drop-bar bikes on the road and 99% of the time I'm lycra'd-up, so I fit the stereo-type other than I'm lovely and fluffy and nice.

Top Bottom