Cycling Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to think cyclists were one category and stuck together, now I’ve learnt you all hate each other, great!

Mountain bikers have traditionally hated roadies - as road riding was seen as dull and unexciting compared to throwing yourself off a cliff.

Road riders have traditionally hated MTBers for the same reason as Bill Grundy hated punk rockers.

MTBers and roadies have one thing in common though - they both hate triathletes... :biggrin:

Commuters - well, they just hate everyone... ;)

Just a nod or smile seems not too much to ask. Not all Roadies are like that but so many are and given they carry next to nothing they really should be sociable as a breakdown will leave them waddling on their racing shoes and pushing the bike!
Was speaking with one of the LBS owners and he said he gets more call outs to roadies with flats, "as they dont know how to change a tyre", then any other call out.
I carry almost a full tool kit, well I used to, trimmed it down a little, but still carry two cycle comps one for individual rides and another for weekly totals, rear top bag with drop down panniers, one usually has my jacket in, two sets of lights (though they arnt that bright well one is but its really no good on dark rural roads) spare tube and patches, full mud guards, spare chain link, bike lock, and anything else I am carrying, and this is all the time on my Viking Tourino, I wear cycling shorts and a top because they are more comfortable, have clips on the pedals with Halfords mtb shoes (well more a cross between them and a road shoe), and I dont give a stuff what ppl think, I will stop for anyone.

I must admit I got the shock of my life on Sunday, I struggle up hills (though getting better) and going up the incline near home is about 7-8% though not very long, it does have a single lane traffic control over a weak bridge, which can be awkward, when I saw this lass on a road bike, who was wearing 3/4 length what looked like MTB shorts, standard pedals, I said to her bit of a bugger that hill, because like me she was going slow, and she said yea it is after a 30m ride. Well I thought good on you lass, because I had only just done my first 40m non stop ride.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I generally give at least a cheery nod to anyone I pass regardless of mode of transport, well apart from on the rare occasion I'm forced to piloting an automobile.

I have many different routes to work but have been gradually wearing people down to the point they'll nod back to me. The exception is a couple of the more generously busted lady cyclists I pass; I am a bit more careful with my nods in case I give the impression I'm gesturing at their cleavage.

Mountain bikers have traditionally hated roadies - as road riding was seen as dull and unexciting compared to throwing yourself off a cliff.

Road riders have traditionally hated MTBers for the same reason as Bill Grundy hated punk rockers.

MTBers and roadies have one thing in common though - they both hate triathletes... :biggrin:

Commuters - well, they just hate everyone... ;)
Haha, yeh i come from a BMX and MTB background so for me now to be considered a roadie is a bit like Luke going over to the dark side!!
I think the lycra was one of the hardest things to get my head around. :scratch:
Once you put the lycra on it becomes really hard to explain that you are not a "roadie".
"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck". Everett Dirksen

Sandra6

Veteran
Just for fun tomorrow when you walk anywhere say "good morning" or "hi" to everyone you pass and smile at them.
Only half - if that - will respond and some will probably look terrified.
It doesn't matter if you're on a bike or not, some people say "hello" and others don't.

Top Bottom