Cycling Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You will probably notice roadies will ignore people on anything other than a road bike, and club riders on a club ride will ignore everybody.

I used to get ignored when I rode a hybrid but now I'm on a road bike I get the nod or the smile. I repeatedly tried to acknowledge the same 4-6 guys on a club run near my house and every time I acknowledged them they ignored me.

Quite a few roadies do this thing when I'm crossing a bridge (busy bridge, dual carriage way busy). There's a path along side it (but separate from the road) and i'll be on the left, climbing towards the bridge. They seem to think it's acceptable to ride towards me, when I'm riding slowly and force me towards the traffic so they don't have to ride near it.

Dicks.
Just shout..."riding etiquette, keep left" at then and keep plowing on.

Get In The Van

Another for on a mtb converted to a hybrid and most 'roadies' ignore you, i get most waves from joggers and cheery waves and nods from folk in their work clothes going to and from their place of work
i do thank motorists who wait if the road is narrow or know there is a junction coming up and hang back before overtaking.
passed one roadie today in full race gear, gave me a look as if to say 'what the f%%% are you doing on my road'
so i gave him a cheery wave and big alright as i passed in the other direction.

Paul H

It's funny but I was just talking to the Mrs about this very thing.

Out on my ride earlier a fellow roadie flew past me on going down hill and said hello (or something like that...I couldn't tell as I was breathing so heavily!!!) then another roadie with LBS Lycra went past me from behind and also said hello. I thought, that's nice as they could both no doubt see I was not exactly Wiggo.

I of course said "alright" to them both and now realise that I did the right thing being as I am a new boy to cycling. I said to the Mrs it's like being in a new gang :-)

Also I have acknowledged drivers who have waited for me at junctions...can't hurt in my opinion. As me mam used to say..."manners cost nothing"

sabian92

Über Member
Quite right too ... have you shaved your legs?

Not recently.... too much hassle. They're quite hairy so it takes a week to do :biggrin:

I might do though... leg hair sticking through lycra bibshorts isn't a good look :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 20519

I'm on a road bike and I wave to everyone. Mountain bikers, hybrids, peds, dogs - shame they don't wave back :rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The simple fact is that people are on the whole weird and some ride bikes. Some think they're part of a clan with various subdivided tribes with which they feel 'superior' to others. Whilst I identify with clan 'Roadie' (i've never been anything else) I'll wave smile say hello and encoiurage anyone. I'm too old to care whether they recipricate or not.
Spread the love.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I dont get the whole "roadie" thing, I'm cycling on the road so get a road bike, I need the cycling shorts other wise I can get pants, and get them stuck in the chain and over heat, or wear short and have my balls pop out. I got a cycle top so I can put some food and waterproof in the back pockets. I also have shaved leggs because I swim. So im a roadie?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The etiquette is, do as you feel you should!

I am not a chronic greeter, but at the same time I don't flat out ignore people (they will get a nod or a raise of the hand), but I rarely initiate it. Especially if I am riding hard, in those circumstances I like to be left alone to concentrate, part of the reason I use the turbo so much is to remove any distraction and just focus (I don't run or ride with music, not even on the turbo, occasionally the tv if doing a long slow spin on the turbo, but never when riding at effort).

As for club's ignoring people, well the club I have been riding with the last couple of weeks do not ignore people!

Top Bottom