Cycling in the wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's not been a wind strong enough in the South East to have ever stopped me commuting. However if on a leisure ride it's looking particularly bad then I may wuss out.

This evening's commute was a right bleeding windy one.

screenman

Legendary Member
In the past I have been down to 4mph working hard into the wind, never again. Mind you my average is only 17mph on rides nowadays so maybe it was not that bad.

If the tree in the back garden is moving about scarily I go on the turbo, that is the best I can give you, sorry.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I don't think I have ever looked at the wind speed when commuting
Was out in the last but one named storm in the teeth of it. That was hard work as a solo rider.
For leisure rides I tend to listen to the wind as it hits the house and decide on that basis.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I hate riding in the wind, especially cross winds when your on open stretches. I wouldn't head out for the sake of having a ride if the winds were bad but commuted to work numerous times swearing and cursing at the elements :cursing:

rivers

How far can I go?
I tend to avoid high winds, anything over 25mph really. Neither of my bikes are particularly heavy (7kg and 9.5kg ish it's respectively), and neither am I (58kgs ish), so I tend to get tossed around by the winds. The route my commute takes means I'm going to get a bit of tailwind, headwind, and crosswinds, and is pretty open, so no shelter from buildings. There are also lots of trees, so don't really fancy a flying branch or several.
So today, I gave the bike a miss and took the bus

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Last month I binned a ride off with the average wind speed given as 24mph with gusting to 40mph.
After about the 4th or 5th unplanned and totally uncontrollable direction change I decided my safety was more important and turned for home - which meant a mile cycling straight into the wind on the flat where I ended up doing 5.2mph, which even by my standards is painfully slow. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom