Cycling in Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
That pic looks like the devils staircase to me. There was a lot of snow on the Llyn Brianne side on the weekend. Steep climb that. When were you thinking of going?

Are you going to start all your rides from that post code or are you willing to travel a little by car?

You'll be not disappointed with the roads around here, they are awesome for cycling.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That pic looks like the devils staircase to me. There was a lot of snow on the Llyn Brianne side on the weekend. Steep climb that. When were you thinking of going?

Are you going to start all your rides from that post code or are you willing to travel a little by car?

You'll be not disappointed with the roads around here, they are awesome for cycling.
The idea was to go for the weekend and check it out . As there is a house to stay in I guess everything would start from there but if you have other suggestions then feel free to include them .

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not sure what you want to know, it's Ceredigion which is the next coastal county up from me, Pembrokeshire, haven't done much riding there have driven through there on a number of occasions. As has been said it's hilly, but stunning, I'd love to ride the coast road up to Aberystwyth one day, the hills are magnificent and the views are incredible, more than that I can't help.
Shame the driving standards on that road are so piss poor thobut. Done it twice. Once in middle of night; plain scary. Once in middle of day; downright terrifying. NEVER.EVER.AGAIN.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

This one speaks the truth.

though some of the A roads can be a bit, er, exciting.

huwsparky

Über Member
@Cuchilo

If I were going for the weekend to that postcode then the devils staircase is the way to go as your really close and the scenery around there is fantastic.

Not done it myself but a mate done it last weekend and said it was very erm... scary and fell off once and had to walk the bike through snow on higher ground!

I live about 45 minutes away from Tregaron (south) and traveled to do the climb below a few weeks back as we were close by on our winter holiday.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bwlch-y-groes-now-with-pics.172944/

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Shame the driving standards on that road are so piss poor thobut. Done it twice. Once in middle of night; plain scary. Once in middle of day; downright terrifying. NEVER.EVER.AGAIN.
Ah well, I'm going to put that into my growing pile of shattered dreams then Greg :sad:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I did consider putting that when I typed the post, but I thought I'd line it up for someone else instead ^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A lot of the A487 isn't nice riding IMO. Very busy, fairly twisty and hilly single carriageway stuff with lots of double white lines. I'm pretty tough about traffic but it feels like relentless harassment, especially if you are feeling tired and slow.

Amen to that, it's crap.

It also seems to have a high accident rate going by the regular reports in the local rag. The beauty of west Wales is the massive network of little used B and unclassified roads and very little hassle from cars.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Spoke to the house owner again this morning so I'm starting to practise the local lingo :thumbsup:

Yr wyf yn dweud hen dyn, yn gwybod ble gall i gael tacsi o gwmpas yma? Mae fy nghoesau yn waedlyd lladd fi!

Top Bottom