Cycling is the new black... Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So will the Olympics/TdF wins bring about any change in attitude to cyclists?

Slightly more kindness? Yes.

More respect? No. I think that's a cultural change and a slow one. We've all been cyclists and then known colleagues/family/friends who've just got use to the idea of you being a cyclist and then in noodley language when they've been in a vehicle on the road been total nobbers to other cyclists.

More cyclists? Yes, probably (but I reckon we turned a corner last year with the worlds, vuelta and now the golden year of coverage this year).

Safety in numbers? Yes.

Cycling not being regarded as being the preserve of weird people, nutters and superhumans? Maybe a little.

People loved cricket back when we wont the Ashes live on Channel 4 (those were the days!)

People loved Rugby back in (whenever we won the World Cup)

People jumped all over swimming after the last 'lympics

Passing fad I would think.
Well, I think there is an almost automatic 'I can do that' with cycling - ergo it is accesible to all. The other sports need a journey to the venue, a level of knowledge, some basic body skills and close supervision and organisation.
A bike 'game' starts outside the front door - there may or may not be others playing at any given time.

Sandra6

Veteran
Definitely a lot more cyclists out, of all shapes, sizes and ages, which can only be good. Even if only 10% of them stick at it.
I had a couple of ladies out with their children cheering "team gb!" for me just the other day, quite bizarre, but made me smile.
I've noticed a couple of "serious" cyclists almost sneering at the newbies on the block though -maybe we all need to start being more respectful in general.

lordloveaduck

Come the winter with it's cold weather, when the bikes and bso's are slowly decomposing in a far off corner in a shed or garden, it will all be forgotten.:sad: And spring will ring with the coming of the rag and bone man, collecting scrap metal.

ushills

Veteran
I had a bloke this morning while walking his dog jump off the path and say "What you bloody doin' training for the 'lympics?".

Add that to the fat guy on a canal boat in just his y-fronts who I gave a cheery "good morning" to and got a response I would say cycling is getting more recognition round here.

Just need to grow some sideburns.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Come the winter with it's cold weather, when the bikes and bso's are slowly decomposing in a far off corner in a shed or garden, it will all be forgotten.:sad: And spring will ring with the coming of the rag and bone man, collecting scrap metal.
I view this as a good opportunity to pick up a reasonably cheap second hand bike. :biggrin:

Top Bottom