Cycling kit from the past you used to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beardie

Crackle said:
I spotted this Pifco lamp on Ebay and yep, I had one. If I recall, the brightness varied with the bumps in the road, a really big bump would light up 10 feet ahead for a few seconds, the rest of the time it was at geriatric firefly levels.

I thought that was the old acetylene lamps. A bump would knock out a bit more gas and a jet of flame would shoot out of the front. Mind you, that's going back an awful long way now.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I went potholing once when I was in my early teens and we had those. When the flame was getting low you had to take the top off and add a bit more water to the crystals to make more gas. Sounds medieval now, but it didn't seem odd at the time.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In my last week or so at university, my bike got nicked, and I never got it back. So a month later, back at the parents' house for the summer, I went out and bought a brand new touring bike which cost me about £100 ... spent first wages from summer job on it.

I knew nowt about bikes really, and just bought it cos it looked nice :smile: and it was great! However, after using it on and off for about 2 yrs, I shamefully left it in the parents' garage, where it gradually gathered dust, and at some point got moved outside and lived uncovered in the garden! I think it eventually got taken to the tip... what a waste!

Anyway, it had brake levers like these... which I kind of liked :smile:

0620-170639.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Evereadys - tick (old and newer)
Wonder lights - tick
Duracel - tick (newer versions of the eveready)
Dynamo - tick (that was a long winter cycling 40 miles a day on a knobbly MTB - road bike went away for winter)

Flint Catchers - no (phew - was tempted)
Tyre liners - tick - crap caused punctures at the join and tyres felt aweful

Steel rims and rubber blocks! We thought a Weinnmann 605 was an upgrade! Thank god for Wolber Super Champions and Atzec blocks else I might never have come to a stop.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Who had one of those mileometers you bolted to the front wheel with a little cog on it that a pin on the spokes used to turn (can't find a picture of one now).

Crackle said:
Who had one of those mileometers you bolted to the front wheel with a little cog on it that a pin on the spokes used to turn (can't find a picture of one now).

Oooh, oooh..*puts hand in the air* .Me! :smile:

I've actually got a brand new one in its packing in a load of bike bits somewhere..might get it out now and put it on something. Thanks for reminding me.:smile:

Non carbon-fibre frames and components...

Mike!

Guru
That's really spookey - only yesterday I spotted an 'eldery' lady cyclist yesterday with a set of those Every Ready bricks. I did have a chuckle to myself as i remember having a set of them on my Grifter :smile:

They were awefully aweful!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Crackle said:

My Galaxy is still fitted with the 'latest' version of this driven by a rubber belt from a smal pulley fitted to the wheel flange.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I don't suppose anyone but me had those special cycling undies out the Freewheel catalogue with the nylon patch on the front for keeping your bits warm?................................No, didn't think so :biggrin:

Well it was before I wore proper cycling kit, bloody good in winter they were. :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

At various times I've had cottered cranks, ever ready lights, dynamo Lights and Wonder lights, I remember the plastic front bracket would go brittle after a while and shatter when you put the light in. I also had a halfords front light for a few weeks, I used to come down New Union street on the way home and there was a bump in the road by the job centre, if I hit that bump the light would fly off the bike, but only on that one bump. With the old steel rims and brakes one of the LBS's used to sell a particular moped outer cable which was a bit stiffer than standard cycle outer cable, this would improve the brakes noticeably.

Top Bottom