Cycling kit from the past you used to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Brains said:
If you could find a real old fashoned tobacconists shop, the sort that sell cigars and pipes I'm sure you could still get pipecleaners

An easier bet these days would be any craft shop or one of those discount bookshops with a craft section.

On the subject of bottle dynamos - I have one on my winter bike - the lights have upgraded a bit though, and my rear one has a standlight.

Brains said:
If you could find a real old fashoned tobacconists shop, the sort that sell cigars and pipes I'm sure you could still get pipecleaners

Arch said:
An easier bet these days would be any craft shop or one of those discount bookshops with a craft section.

Hobbycraft sell them. Available in neon colours too.

Ever ready lights - check.
My pride and joy was the speedometer with the little wheel thing though. IIRC it went up to 40 mph

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
badkitty said:
Oooh, oooh..*puts hand in the air* .Me! :smile:

I've actually got a brand new one in its packing in a load of bike bits somewhere..might get it out now and put it on something. Thanks for reminding me.:smile:
Ooh, am jealous of your mileometer! Used to have one of those, and also used to have a speedometer with a dial and needle arrangement in the 80's.

Also used one of these:
bicycle-dumb-bell-spanner-wrench-73-p.jpg

PBancroft

threebikesmcginty said:
I did have this sort of set up on one bike. Stop and you're in the dark.

dynamo-sm.jpg

Yep. I had those too. I even had someone stop to tell me my lights weren't working. "That's because they're dynamos!" doesn't sit well...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
swee said:
Baggy said:
:evil: you mean you have one that isn't made of cheese?

I might be wrong but I think the tool below came in the same plastic bag containing the certificate signed by the bloke who built the frame of my Record Ace. It is good for the headset, bb, pedals etc. and pretty much everything the dumbbell does. In terms of functionality I can't help but think that today's "multitool" pales in comparison - it is also definitely not made of cheese ;)

DSC00372.JPG

Night Train

Maker of Things
I remember all those lights (except the acetylene ones).

RecordAceFromNew said:
I might be wrong but I think the tool below came in the same plastic bag containing the certificate signed by the bloke who built the frame of my Record Ace. It is good for the headset, bb, pedals etc. and pretty much everything the dumbbell does. In terms of functionality I can't help but think that today's "multitool" pales in comparison - it is also definitely not made of cheese :evil:

DSC00372.JPG
I remember them too, and the dumbell ones.

Crackle said:
Who had one of those mileometers you bolted to the front wheel with a little cog on it that a pin on the spokes used to turn (can't find a picture of one now).
Yep, had one of them as well.

Anyone had one of those speedometers that had a cable that went to a little red wheel that rolled round the edge of the tyre?
I think I still have one somewhere.

leyton condor

Veteran
I think that spanner used to come as standard with every Raleigh bicycle.
I had two raleigh bikes as a child and around 1980 was bought a Dawes Lightning racer in metallic purple, does anyone have a photo of one of these. It was definitely considered 1 upmanship on Raleigh Arena owners.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
The old 'star wheel' mileometer used to sound like a machine gun when going downhill and the relentless march of time uphill.
Two things that I would like to have now:-
The mulicoloured, soft shell 'hairnet' helmet and the handlebar mounted bottle holder complete with two bottles and plastic straws.
Is anyone still using the plastic Walls ice cream flag? Wrap your tools, cape and spares in it and strap it under your saddle with a leather strap.
Other things from the dim & distant past:-
Cyclists maps, I think, published by 'Geographica'
The lightweight racing bell - no internal workings but an external 'pinger'
Sou'westers and capes - none of you lightweight nylon crap but heavy waterproof tarpauling!
Separate brake blocks and shoes. How many of us learned the hard way that the open end goes to the rear?
And who can forget the CatEye 'Mate', with batteries it probably weighed more than one of today's carbon frames!

I remember those plastic lights, the spanners, might still have one. My mum used to make us spats which zipped up the leg, covered the top half of the cycling shoe and had a strap underneath so we didn't get our shoes covered in mud. They were usually made of a stretchy material. I always felt a bit of a nit wearing them but she made me.
She also made our cycling jackets, in wool gabardine, zip up, side pockets and little straps at the side to pull the in. You would proudly mount a medal you'd won on the zip puller.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I got a similar spanner to that with my "Universal Fusion" BSO I bought to get back into cycling a couple years ago (thank god someone nicked that bike or I probably wouldn't be cycling now)

Also had the eveready lights, in fact I'm pretty sure they're still in the garage

Also does anyone remember the original solid expanded polystyrene helmets, complete with lycra fashion cover? :evil:

Top Bottom