cycling nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
DK ....... I found on my latest adventure that if it's edible eat it
thumbsup.png

Otherwise:

Flapjack
Malt loaf
Bananas
Nutritional drink (milo rocks
biggrin.gif
)
Cereal bars
Cycling gel
Jelly Babies

And for that last push when you have no more left and need that sugar boost:

Flat Coca cola
biggrin.gif

You can't take them all at the same time of course unless you have bloomin great big pockets
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 10
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 9
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i like the idea of malt loaf or similar with lots of butter on them, with a couple of jm butties and a nutrician/cereal bar. one big bottle of water and a glucose drink of some sort

that sounds a good plan to me.

50 mile journey, knowing me after 5 miles id have eaten everything!!!

apollo179

i like the idea of malt loaf or similar with lots of butter on them, with a couple of jm butties and a nutrician/cereal bar. one big bottle of water and a glucose drink of some sort

that sounds a good plan to me.

50 mile journey, knowing me after 5 miles id have eaten everything!!!

Thats one advantage of taking frozen stuff - it takes 2 or 3 hours for a frozen pie or pasta to thaw out.

apollo179

lol, i like cold pies

and im not sure this would work in winter

Yes - tbh you do tend to end up gnawing half frozen food at the roadside. In winter it would likely still be frozen rock solid by the time you got back home so not a good idea for winter. Anyway i am now reliably informed that pasta isnt the best choice of foof to take anyways.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
thought pasta was good? well if i recall its slow acting so maybe wont turn into energy quick enough, good for recovery though eh?
thought bananas were the same, takes 2 hours to digest we were told when playing rugby, not sure why tennis players eat them during a game then?

Fubar

Guru
Interesting read. Our neighbours son sells macaroon, millionaire's shortbread and tablet round the doors for a bit of extra cash so I normally keep a bar or 2 of tablet (which I think is just boiled sugar and condensed milk) in my pack for emergencies - yummy, but perhaps a bit sweet for some tastes though!

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Interesting read. Our neighbours son sells macaroon, millionaire's shortbread and tablet round the doors for a bit of extra cash so I normally keep a bar or 2 of tablet (which I think is just boiled sugar and condensed milk) in my pack for emergencies - yummy, but perhaps a bit sweet for some tastes though!

I use Kendall's mint cake as one of my get me home last ditch snacks

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
kendal mintcake is used extensively by ramblers for the same reason

on a long ride i seem to want something less sweet. sweet stuff is good for on the go, but at the half way break i like something filling

apollo179

thought pasta was good? well if i recall its slow acting so maybe wont turn into energy quick enough, good for recovery though eh?
thought bananas were the same, takes 2 hours to digest we were told when playing rugby, not sure why tennis players eat them during a game then?

Yes i thought pasta was good but as rob points out it lacks the required immediacy. Bananas should be ok.
Tesco are doing bannanas for about 50p a kilo atm (at the moment !!) so i bought 4 came out about 50p for my 80miles tomorrow. Tennis players probably need immediate energy more than rugby players as except for the wingers you dont often see an out of breath rugby player.

Bicycle

Pasta is good. It's great. Probably best the day before a big endurance event, but still good on the day.

As other replies say, it lacks immediacy. As does rice, but they're both great fuel tanks for advance stocking.

Bananas, on the other hand, give fast and keep giving. They are nature's wonderfood. They also need little chewing. Whoever invented them is no fool.

The advice about Rugby players eating them 2 hours before kick-off is therefore not in conflict with Tennis Players eating them during games.

The Rugby thing may also be to do with the fact that it's a contact sport and one might not want to run into an opposing player within minutes of eating. That sort of 'impact with intent' rarely happens with Tennis players. or cyclists.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Pasta is good. It's great. Probably best the day before a big endurance event, but still good on the day.

As other replies say, it lacks immediacy. As does rice, but they're both great fuel tanks for advance stocking.

Bananas, on the other hand, give fast and keep giving. They are nature's wonderfood. They also need little chewing. Whoever invented them is no fool.

The advice about Rugby players eating them 2 hours before kick-off is therefore not in conflict with Tennis Players eating them during games.

The Rugby thing may also be to do with the fact that it's a contact sport and one might not want to run into an opposing player within minutes of eating. That sort of 'impact with intent' rarely happens with Tennis players. or cyclists.

good post, i didnt know bananas gave straight away, if so then ill take some on my next ride

pasta and rice was always good the day before a game. i usually had porridge before a match, and lots of it, 4hours before then 2 hours before, then only water. we were told not to have any sugar, sucrose as it slowed you down

Top Bottom