cycling nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
when i go on a long ride, 2 hours + i start to get hungry.

Any ideas on the best food to take, high calorie/fat and light to carry? i find myself enjoying the butter on sandwiches, my body must need it!

Thanks

chewy

I find the Kellogs Elevenes oat bars very good.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
yeh i like the nutrition bars but wondered if there was anything bulkier people used, i like to take a big bap of some kind

Broadside

Guru
For longer rides (50+ miles) I usually take a couple of ham and cheese finger rolls as I get bored of all the sugary food all the time and I do wonder what is happening to my teeth after 5 hours in the saddle...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another vote for elevenses bars :smile:

For a 2-3 hour ride at a good pace i tend to have a good breakfast , good old porridge with dried fruit hits the spot , i have tried it after a Sunday lunch and it sits to heavy for me .

During the ride i will be drinking regularly on a drink made from powdered glucose normally made half strength , or i have developed a tasted for the zero cal electrolyte stuff atm, i will eat an energy bar or a gel on the road after 20 + miles and i am normally ok till the end of the ride.

The longest ride i have done was 76 miles and i was told to eat little and often to keep my energy levels up , using a couple of gels and a couple of energy bars .
The more i ride the less i feel the need to eat on the go , maybe i am getting fitter or my body is getting used to using the energy more effectively, i did a 40 miler the other week and although we had a cake stop ( had a coffee) i did not feel the need for any energy.

I found glucotabs can be good as an instant boost .

I did read jam sanwhiches and bannanas were good, check this blog out.

http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cycling/cycling-food/

Rob500

I take a banana or a bar of chocolate, a peanut butter & jam sandwich and a handfull of winegums.

Bicycle

Soreen Fruit Malt Loaf. Sliced and buttered.

Fig Rolls.

Bananas.

Tea Cakes with Cream Cheese and Jam.

Water. (Not so good for energy, but it washes them down...)

Defy78

I find after about 90mins (or 30miles, which ever comes sooner ;o) I have just about depleted my glycogen stocks. I do use energy bars and gels but I find the best thing (if not too hot to melt the chocolate) are a mars bars; it depends how much longer you are going to be riding as well though, if 2hrs and 10 mins I might not bother.

Anyway, the thing to remember is, not only do you need water for general hydration but it is also needed for glucose re-absorbtion. Every gram of glucose needs at least 3x the amount of water to be absorbed, so if you are eating you have to drink aswell!!! Just saying incase this is not completely obvious...

apollo179

Tesco crunchy oat ceral - quite easy to eat as theyre in clumps and only about £1.50 for 1kg. Not worked it out but presumably cheaper than cerealbars.

Top Bottom