Cycling on Christmas Day ?

Christmas day cycling or family time

• Yes its ok !

Votes: 80 83.3%
  • No Christmas day is family time not to be missed !

Votes: 16 16.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a friend stopping but we are (supposedly?) not 'doing' Christmas. As another person who lost a parent at Christmas I have lost whatever little interest I once had in it. Going out for a brisk 50 km ride would be a pleasant alternative as long as the weather turns out okay.

Went out quite late in the afternoon on Christmas Day about 5 years ago. Got a puncture 9 miles from home just as it was getting dark. In those days I was using metal tyre levers, and put one of them through the wall of my tyre in the dark. Had to drag Mrs A away from TV for rescue. Not popular.

Having lost my dad on the 28th December last year, this will be my first Christmas without him too. The weather forecast is currently looking quite good for Christmas Day. I might just get out on the bike and lose myself in memories.
Have a wonderful ride mo, and great memories, but am intrigued by your long long term weather forecast. Are you privy to secret knowledge from the other side?
Am sure the day will be fine one way or another. My dad was buried on a very blustery wet northern day and i couldn't help but think he would have found it funny.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My dad was buried on a very blustery wet northern day and i couldn't help but think he would have found it funny.
My dad died on Bonfire Night so that rather put me off fireworks! :laugh: The funeral took place on a horrid November day - black clouds, driving rain, and horrendously gusting winds.

We had filed into a small church in Coventry and the minister started to deliver his words. "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebra..."

KERCRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever had been the last one in had forgotten to close the church door behind them and a savage gust caught it and slammed it shut. A horrified silence fell upon the congregation. My frail old Scottish mum leaned over to me, squeezed my arm, and her quiet voice reverberated round the church - "Och, Colin, trust your father to go out with a bang!" Much laughter in the church, and quite a few tears. The minister smiled, and started again...

Spooner2015

Depending on the weather, I frequently cycle into central London Christmas morning from around 5am. Its fantastic. No traffic or people and you can cycle anywhere you like with just the odd police patrol car for company. With the City all lit up in the dark and no one around it's pretty magical. i recommend it but get out early because after 8am the place starts filling up and it's just like a regular Sunday.

Depending on the weather, I frequently cycle into central London Christmas morning from around 5am. Its fantastic. No traffic or people and you can cycle anywhere you like with just the odd police patrol car for company. With the City all lit up in the dark and no one around it's pretty magical. i recommend it but get out early because after 8am the place starts filling up and it's just like a regular Sunday.
There used to be a very regular london group (casual pootle) ride round london on christmas day. I really enjoyed it, went a few times, there were always a fair few folk I knew from the london lcc groups. I"d go for the morning bit then pedal home to sort lunch. I don't think it happens anymore due to really wierd stuff that was part of other wierd stuff. Yes folks christmas was hijacked. Nowt so twisted as some folk.

ukbabz

Über Member
I want too, but visiting my family and won't have a bike with me (and wife wouldn't be happy being dumped with my family). Compromise is I'll do park run on xmas morning instead to at least get something in.

Reactions: DSK
I used to ride on Christmas day but I found although the roads were quieter they were far from empty and those folk were in too much or rush and/ or too stressed to notice other folk. It was stress I could do without. Good will to all men :wacko:

VeloMule

I try to ride every xmas day, number of miles depends on how early I get up - return in time for the afternoon festivities that ensue.
(If the weather is crap I might try a half hour run - in a vain bid to offset the calories ahead!)

My training programme for my next race commences on the 22nd...so I'll be training on the 25th! I'll just have to be back in time for Xmas lunch so as not to upset my wife. 😄

Xmas Eve will be a longer ride with my club mates. Repeat for New Year!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Last Christmas day I tootled down to parkrun on my tinsel bedecked Brommie.

I usually volunteer at my local parkrun but thought I would have a run, as it was Christmas day and bound to be quiet.

Over a thousand people turned out to run, a record number for our event.
I suppose everyone had the same idea, never seen so many Santas, Elves, and reindeer antler bedecked people in one place.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Having lost my dad on the 28th December last year, this will be my first Christmas without him too. The weather forecast is currently looking quite good for Christmas Day. I might just get out on the bike and lose myself in memories.

I was dreading the first Christmas without mom and dad (lost both 3 months apart) . It wasn't as bad as I thought. I tried to do what mom and dad had done all those years - going the extra mile - all those daft little things - little table presents - indoor fireworks - quizzes and a few of my own ideas as well.
Sure you will be fine.

Top Bottom