Cycling on Christmas Day ?

Christmas day cycling or family time

• Yes its ok !

Votes: 80 83.3%
  • No Christmas day is family time not to be missed !

Votes: 16 16.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, from the pub to home at about 1 on Christmas morning, gets it out of the way to leave more time for gluttony during Christmas day and night. I live in the middle of nowhere now and there is no novelty in the day being quiet, its always quiet. I like a short walk in the forest while the dead beast roasts at home, after being in fresh air the cooking smells on returning are something to savour.
For that reason alone you should get out for an hour on wheels or feet, if you are having a nice festive dinner you will appreciate it a little more if you can find time to leave the house and breathe fresh air, your porch doesn't count as getting out for some air.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No joke.
Even with kids I managed to get out for an hour or so.
It's not hard.
mine were up at 4 am last year after keeping me awake all night no joke sometimes it is that hard .

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to play golf christmas day. Its only the weather that would prevent a short 10/15 miler.
Of course the TV is so good on christmas day its difficult to leave it :rolleyes:

Bhitucyclist

Yep, weather permitting. I either go on my own and enjoy the low traffic, bus free roads or meet a friend for coffee (unfortunately only Starbucks open but it's bearable once a year :laugh:).
Small family, no kids (luckily :whistle:)
I'll see the family in the afternoon/evening
I will do that on 1st ! Start the year with a good ride !

If it's sunny then I'll go for ride along the coast.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but I don't love it, and I'm not voluntarily doing something I don't love on Christmas day.

Slick

Guru
It's definitely okay, especially now the kids are older, the only real issue I've ever found is the feeling everyone else is looking at you wondering if your either a bit of a head case or just a bit special. :laugh:

Truth be told, my Christmas day in the not too dim and distant past was to spend it with my wife and parents and my dad and I would always go and play golf after a huge breakfast obviously. Some years others in the family would join us, but the only real constant was dad and I and now that's gone, a spin on the bike reminiscing on Christmas past is quite cathartic.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
When the kids were really young we'd drive down to my owd lass's on Christmas morning. Mrs. jg would drop me off about 40 miles away and I'd ride the rest arriving just in time for a shower before dinner. On the downside I'd have to do the washing up.

This year I've entered the Festive 500 so will be looking to get 30 odd miles in before dinner. When everyone falls asleep in the afternoon I'll mebbe sneak out for another 15 - 20 miles.

Bhitucyclist

It's definitely okay, especially now the kids are older, the only real issue I've ever found is the feeling everyone else is looking at you wondering if your either a bit of a head case or just a bit special. :laugh:

Truth be told, my Christmas day in the not too dim and distant past was to spend it with my wife and parents and my dad and I would always go and play golf after a huge breakfast obviously. Some years others in the family would join us, but the only real constant was dad and I and now that's gone, a spin on the bike reminiscing on Christmas past is quite cathartic.
I know the feeling... so many things i miss sharing with dad 😔

Top Bottom