Cycling Plus Magazine. Any other recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Sitting on the train to London and I thought I'd buy a cycling magazine for the train...

I bought Cycling Plus, I wanted a magazine aimed at the everyday cyclist. It seemed to be aimed just at men and only really worth reading if you have around £2500+ to spend on a bike.

There was lots of useful training info and nutrition which was very good. But I was just let down by the rest of it.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a more universally friendly bike magazine?!

Thanks in advance x

dodgy

All you'll learn from magazines is what they want you to buy :smile:
Plenty to read on the web for free, I think magazines have almost had their day.

Yes indeed, their main purpose seems to be to invite the big green envy monster into your life so you start to think what you have isn't good enough. à la OP's previous thread about upgrading to faster tyres :P

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bike manufacturers give journalists freebies - journalists write glowing reviews about bikes. What's new about that? I have never seen a bad review in a bike magazine, really, never.

I read Cyclist because the photos are gorgeous and I like to dream about riding my bike on dry, smooth European roads. But most of the bikes they review are not in my price range.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Back in the day Cycling [Weekly], aka The Comic, was the magazine of record. The others were commonly known as 'funny' mags. But they're all so intent on competing with each other for market-share and advertising revenue that yer actual cyclist tends to get forgotten.

Sharky

Guru
Used to be a regular reader of Cycling Weekly, even when it included mopeds (my dad's copy). Used to include real news of local events, but now mostly adverts. Stopped buying it about 10 years ago, except for an occasional one-off purchase.

If you are a member of the CTC (UK Cycling), you get a free magazine which does have a few readable articles in it.

pawl

Legendary Member
Bike manufacturers give journalists freebies - journalists write glowing reviews about bikes. What's new about that? I have never seen a bad review in a bike magazine, really, never.

I read Cyclist because the photos are gorgeous and I like to dream about riding my bike on dry, smooth European roads. But most of the bikes they review are not in my price range.

Agree with that.Enjoy the rides the reporters do.

Bikes Etc isn’t bad but even that mag seems to be moving more up market

Top Bottom