Cycling Plus Magazine. Any other recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Carefull if you get lured into a subscription by a" free gift" .This usually ties you into a full years worth of mags at full price.

bpsmith

Veteran
I like Cyclist. What’s wrong with s bit of escapism reading about climbs and bikes that I could only dream of. Doesn’t make me unhappy with what I have or where I ride.

Procycling is my choice though. Love reading the articles about Pro riders, whether GC or Domestique or anywhere in between.

Be aware that magazines are often about upgrades, but forums are often anti upgrades. The actual truth lies somewhere in between. ;)

I enjoy ' Cyclist ' , it's my go to if I want to read a magazine when I travel or when I'm away from home , I like its content and find it enjoyable .. I wouldn't get it monthly say , but just when the mood takes me ..

I picked up a copy of Cyclist a while back. Even though I'm a long way from being a roadie I couldn't put it down. It's the sense of adventure. It's sort of like putting down Top Gear Magazine and picking up Octane.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I would love to run my own magazine, with all sorts of features for cycling, health and girl stuff. Would be the best thing EVER!

I have found a good website called www.totalwomenscycling.com. That seems a good place to start....

TWS is good if you want a female-focused version of what the mainstream cycling mags offer.

There used to be a print magazine called 'Women's Cycling', but it didn't last - not enough sales to sustain it. Bear that in mind before you invest your fortune in starting up a new cycling mag aimed at women!

normgow

Guru
Can you expand on the CW criticism?

See if you can get hold of a copy of "Cycling" of thirty or even forty years ago and compare it with one of today.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
One of the common criticisms levelled at CW is that it has betrayed its traditional core readership - it used to be a repository of local race results, now it seems more focused on the modern sportive-riding mamil. The problem is perhaps that the traditional club racer is no longer enough to sustain the commercial viability of the title.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I too have found cycling magazines to be irrelevant to my world, I just cannot afford most of the stuff they are plugging, and reading reviews of stuff I will never buy does not interest me. Some of the features about cycling in various places are interesting though.

Personally, I would prefer to read a good book. There are many about cycling if you want to focus on your 2 wheeled pastime.

Here are a few on my wishlist - when I eventually find time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Sco...&ie=UTF8&qid=1521639727&sr=1-2&keywords=obree

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumphs-T...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VGESYP1GPB3R3Z5EZ127

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Place-Like...TF8&qid=1521640258&sr=1-12&keywords=josie+dew

Milzy

Guru
One of the common criticisms levelled at CW is that it has betrayed its traditional core readership - it used to be a repository of local race results, now it seems more focused on the modern sportive-riding mamil. The problem is perhaps that the traditional club racer is no longer enough to sustain the commercial viability of the title.
Saved me typing this. Also as probably mentioned the journalism is poor. Their posts on Facebook just seem to wind everybody up. Especially on a slow news day.

U

User169

Another “Cyclist” (occasional) reader here. It’s always makes me want to get out on my bike,

Top Bottom