Cycling Plus Magazine. Any other recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As an alternative to Cycling Plus, I would suggest this.

andrex1.jpg

Wiping your arris with either of these two soft items has to be better than an expensive magazine of adverts.

If they're anything like walking / climbing magazines then you'll get basically the same magazine articles at the same time if the year with only the letters page (email, FB or twitter now) and reviews that are new. But they're rarely any the kit you actually want.

I was a long term subscriber to Cycling Plus charlotte for years from when I got back into cycling about 20 years ago. I even have several years in nice binders. The reason I liked it was that it was aimed at a wide range of cyclists but, yes, those days are long past. Personally I would avoid many/most/near all of the mags for the reasons oft stated above. I'd stick to helpful folk on forums - no such thing as a daft question. If you are now or ever interested in touring I can recommend the ctc cycling uk forum - no need to be a member - lots of excellent no nonsense advice and in my experience not too much ego polishing.

I agree it's about what they want you to buy.
I used to subscribe to MBR but got fed up with the big budget, full suss, widest tyres, 1x gearing only mantra.
Then they reviewed the bike I'd just bought and just dissed it for only being a hardtail.

I just occasionally pick up a mag these days. I'd rather come here for impartial opinions.

Drago

Legendary Member
I binned MBR some years back. Theyd been rabidly anti 29er for years, and did an editorial 180 almost overnight for no reason whatsoever (other than all their readers were buying them, and were therefore in danger of going and reading something else).

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Here's a linky. for about £7 a pop you can have your choice of the world's bike rags. http://www.newsstand.co.uk/223-Cycl...KE-ACTION-MAGAZINE-Magazine-Subscription.aspx
I like Bicycle Quarterly, but it's a bit left-field, and has a randonneuring focus.

Milzy

Guru
CC is full of people with a wealth of knowledge and experience. And cycling weekly really is a load of old tosh.

Elysian_Roads

Along with Bike Radar, I dip into Cycling Weekly, Road.cc, Road Cycling among others on the net for free.

Am sure there will be more articles you can access in the printed / subscriber versions but to be honest I bought one cycling magazine a year ago (Cycling Plus), and wasn't impressed enough to keep buying it.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The best thing about Cycling Plus is the offer they frequently do of 5 or 6 issues for £1, then full price afterwards. I usually take this up around August or September which means that I get the issue with the free gift around Christmas time (usually a buff like thing or woolly gloves) and the following year's calendar after which I cancel the direct debit before the full price subscription kicks in.

I don't take the content too seriously as the majority of it seems to be aimed at a different level to my cycling and it passes a couple of hours.

Top Bottom