Cycling Proficiency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I remember doing mine, about 1970. Got the triangular badge but seem to have lost it. I think it's still a great idea for schoolchildren to do.
Also when I was a Cub Scout leader I was very keen on the cubs learning how to look after their bikes, mend punctures etc. Sometimes I bump into an ex cub of mine (they are all young men now) and a couple of years ago one of them said he'd taken up cycling and remembered some of the things I'd taught him. Brought a tear to my eye it did.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can remember doing it in the late 70s, as did quite a lot of my classmates. Pretty much every kid with the full complement of arms and legs rode bikes back then anyway, so we tended to look on it as a good excuse to ride our bikes at school. It was done in the playground, but still drummed some road sense into you all the same. In the scheme of things the cost was peanuts in relation to the benefit. No hi-vis and helmet nonsense back then either, just a trouser clip if you wore longs so you didn't get dirty chain oil on your leg and a bollocking from your mum.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep failed mine, apparently you were supposed to look behind when setting off despite being on the School playground and there being no cars about, now I've never been an Actor so to me this was total BS and I'd bet that of the 25-30 kids that day I'm the only one that rides a bike daily.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member

Lovacott

Über Member
Did anyone ever get one of these? I never did but I remember the police going around to schools testing cyclists: View attachment 571120

Would it be a good idea to introduce it again? And what about for mature riders?
We did it in our school back in 1966 along with a trip to the pool once a week for swimming lessons.

When I was nine, I was riding my bike on the road and giving hand signals etc and I wasn't drowning in the sea at Great Yarmouth either.

I also started doing woodwork when I was six using proper tools with sharp edges and pointy bits.

I don't remember anyone dying as a result?

School just ain't the same any more.

Lovacott

Über Member
Round here there is still cycle training in primary schools (in normal times) and our cycle campaign provides free confidence training. No badges or certificates though, but you've got me thinking @Cycleops ...
Kids love certificates and badges.

I remember my huge pride at being awarded a Tufty Club badge for road safety when I was six.

One of my greatest moments.

1611996375725.png

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
We did it in our school back in 1966 along with a trip to the pool once a week for swimming lessons.

When I was nine, I was riding my bike on the road and giving hand signals etc and I wasn't drowning in the sea at Great Yarmouth either.

I also started doing woodwork when I was six using proper tools with sharp edges and pointy bits.

I don't remember anyone dying as a result?

School just ain't the same any more.
Maybe not in your experience, although I remember a boy lost the sight in one eye during a metalwork lesson at my school. I’m not saying that children shouldn’t be taught how to use tools correctly, but it is a risk. The same goes for cycling in traffic.

Fortunately, fewer children in the U.K. are dying from avoidable causes these days. A quick search reveals this. I’m sure there are more up to date figures out there somewhere, but you can clearly see a welcome downward trend - child deaths down from three/four a day to fewer than one every two days. That’s an awful lot of grief avoided.

http://www.makingthelink.net/deaths-child-accidents
649C877F-2299-4051-B0F7-C5BAF2593B9B.jpeg

Lovacott

Über Member
Maybe not in your experience, although I remember a boy lost the sight in one eye during a metalwork lesson at my school. I’m not saying that children shouldn’t be taught how to use tools correctly, but it is a risk. The same goes for cycling in traffic.

On the other hand, you have kids today who are destined to have heart attacks before they hit 30.

Instead of walking or cycling to school, they get taken in a car. Instead of going out on their bikes with their mates in the school holidays, they game online. Instead of having meat and three veg for tea, they have battered sausage and chips.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
On the other hand, you have kids today who are destined to have heart attacks before they hit 30.

Instead of walking or cycling to school, they get taken in a car. Instead of going out on their bikes with their mates in the school holidays, they game online. Instead of having meat and three veg for tea, they have battered sausage and chips.
I broadly agree with the cycling point, as you would expect on a cycling forum. Normalising cycling as transport is hugely important, but needs to be combined with driver training and enforcement, and infrastructure improvements.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I did my cycling proficiency when at school many moons ago, and my son did his Bikeability Level 2 3 years ago. My daughter would have been doing her level 2 this year, and there is still hope she will be able to on the return to school (whenever that may be).

Top Bottom