Cycling Proficiency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Back in the 70's everyone in our schools in our London Borough did cycling proficiency. Now replaced with bikeability.

snorri

Legendary Member
I remember riding around cones and being asked to ride in a straight line etc
That explains it, when I was in primary school we were still waiting for cones to be invented so we couldn't have cycle training:sad:.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
On the other hand, you have kids today who are destined to have heart attacks before they hit 30.

Instead of walking or cycling to school, they get taken in a car. Instead of going out on their bikes with their mates in the school holidays, they game online. Instead of having meat and three veg for tea, they have battered sausage and chips.

And when they grow up they are usually really clueless at doing any practical task and have no idea how to fix or make anything around the house, because they weren't let loose with a box of tools and allowed to learn useful life skills.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Could you imagine back then asking your parents if they’d mind giving you a lift to school! :laugh:

My parents didn't have a car, until I was 13...

I did take my cycling proficiency test (and, pass of course). Like others have said, we were not allowed to cycle to school, and use the bicycle sheds, until we had passed the Cycling Proficiency Test (by order of the Head Master).

I did have a Certificate, and, a badge (triangular, I think), but, both have long since disappeared, no doubt, during some house move.

I was born 1947 (day before the first Cycling Proficiency Test, apparently), so, must have taken my test around 1964-1966, I would guess.

SGG on a bike

I did mine around 1973/4. No idea what happened to the badge and certificate. Still got my swimming certificate from about the same time though, so at least I can get to shore if I ride off a cliff into the sea.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I still have the badge. I can remember being taught to ride up behind any cars parked in the road and wait patiently for a gap in the traffic before pulling out around them.

And when they grow up they are usually really clueless at doing any practical task and have no idea how to fix or make anything around the house, because they weren't let loose with a box of tools and allowed to learn useful life skills.

Anecdotal evidence from my time at school...

Using a blender to make mashed potato in home ec. FFS!!! :banghead:

Taking a double physics lesson to wire a plug, and still not have finished when the bell went. :wacko:

Not me, might I add. I know what a potato masher is for, and I did the plug in less than five minutes. :angel:

Top Bottom