Cycling Proficiency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I took mine twice, once in 1969, before leaving primary school, and again in 1971, the headmaster wanted all those who came to school by bike to take it again. I still have the original badges as well.
IMG-20200620-WA0008.jpeg

Last edited:
We had to pass the test in order to cycle to school and use the cycle sheds. I think I took the test in 1965.
I have a triangular badge and certificate somewhere .

Venod

Eh up
I have a vague memory of it been about but never at our school, do we know when it started ? may have been after my school years.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a vague memory of it been about but never at our school, do we know when it started ? may have been after my school years.
The earliest reply so far is 1964.
I found this on Wiki.

The first Cycling Proficiency Test was held for seven children on 7 October 1947.[3] The National Cycling Proficiency Scheme was introduced by the Government in 1958, with statutory responsibility for road safety being given to local authorities in 1974, including the provision of child cyclist training.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I remember riding around cones and being asked to ride in a straight line etc think it was something like a 4 session course, once a week ?

Ours was held at the local primary school in the playground

Yes I remember cones in play ground and fake junctions etc. Don’t think any of it was on real roads, unlike Bikeability.

Venod

Eh up
The earliest reply so far is 1964.
I found this on Wiki.

The first Cycling Proficiency Test was held for seven children on 7 October 1947.[3] The National Cycling Proficiency Scheme was introduced by the Government in 1958, with statutory responsibility for road safety being given to local authorities in 1974, including the provision of child cyclist training.
It was introduced before my school years but according to this but it must not have been in our area..

Top Bottom