Cycling related injuries and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
Just curious as to how people handle working while injured.

I had a minor spill this morning because of ice. Came down quite heavily on my hip, which is making walking painful and cycling (likely to be) impossible. I still made it into work ok.

Ive been in this situation once before. Both times it has been easier to finish the journey into work than heading home after a spill. No Emergency Medical assistance required.

My job is entierly desk based, IT support, so an injury sustained on my way to work that interferes with walking, does not directly effect my job. It does make everything else a PITA though. Hard to walk up the stairs, hard to make food/drink, hard to get home/back in the next morning etc.

Im sitting here after taking a few painkillers still uncomfortable. All I want to do is go home and lay down. I feel tired, uncomfortable and have no drive to actually do any work. I also dont feel able to justify calling in sick just because I cant get into work easily (no cycling) and once at work, mearly feel uncomfortable.

How do you cope in this situation?
Go home?
MTFU and do some work?
Would you call in sick even though you are phyically capable of doing your job?

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Bit different for me as if I cant walk/cycle then I cant do my job. However that means taking sick leave which is something my work make difficult (pay wise).

If I could work then I would, maybe a train in or a lift from a mate? Maybe your work can make reasonable allowances for arriving late due to public transport?

classic33

Leg End Member
Slowing down & actually thinking ahead of what movement will be required is what I've done in the past. Also getting it into your head that movement will be slower does help.

400bhp

Guru
I have a simple rule of thumb for working and illness.

If I'm too ill to cycle to work I'm too ill to work.

Which I think is about right.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
How do you feel today? If you are still feeling a bit crap, perhaps going home yesterday and taking it easy for the rest of the day may have sorted you out and you would have felt better today? Work may get just as much work out of you with one day off and one fully functioning day than with you feeling bad for a couple of days.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am on my feet all shift and work expect you to turn up unless your dead as they will find you something to do and send you to see the on site medical staff for an assessment of what you are capable of.When i broke my hand a while back they had me quality checking door seals all day until i could work again, another guy had a big heart attack and when he came back to work they had him doing paperwork .Your allowed 3 ill times per year and after that it goes on your record .

Why make it a cycling issue?

Given that cyclist are fitter,take less time off sick and are generally more alert

Ask the question differently

If I played football at the weekend, slipped in a Supermarket, or any of a hundred other causes would I be worrying?

classic33

Leg End Member
True, however some employers still see such injuries as self inflicted by a person old enough to know better, who shouldn't be riding a bike as its dangerous.
That is the "excuse/reason" I was given when hit by a drink driver. Fought it, won it & got a forced apology from the "person in charge" who said it in the first place.

400bhp

Guru
Why make it a cycling issue?

Given that cyclist are fitter,take less time off sick and are generally more alert

Ask the question differently

If I played football at the weekend, slipped in a Supermarket, or any of a hundred other causes would I be worrying?

Completely agree. Or ask the question, if I was involved in a car accident would I be worrying.

Ningishzidda

You got injured while travelling to work. A car bump whiplash incident would be in the same league. Go to Occy Health and show them your injuries and make sure its recorded. Don't do anything AT WORK that might aggravate the injuries.

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
True, however some employers still see such injuries as self inflicted by a person old enough to know better, who shouldn't be riding a bike as its dangerous.
That is the "excuse/reason" I was given when hit by a drink driver. Fought it, won it & got a forced apology from the "person in charge" who said it in the first place.

This is the impression I am getting.

Its a small company and I do feel like I may be being treated differently just because I cycle. Almost as if my injury and subsequent "sick leave" is self-inflicted.

Just getting to work, will involve a long commute on public transport. or a less time consuming commute if I walk a mile or two. I feel at this point mearly turning up to work may agrivate my injury.

Saying that, I know getting to work is my responsibility. If it wasnt for the commute part, tomorrow, I'd say I would be able to do a whole days work with no detriment to my recovery.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is the impression I am getting.

Its a small company and I do feel like I may be being treated differently just because I cycle. Almost as if my injury and subsequent "sick leave" is self-inflicted.

Just getting to work, will involve a long commute on public transport. or a less time consuming commute if I walk a mile or two. I feel at this point mearly turning up to work may agrivate my injury.

Saying that, I know getting to work is my responsibility. If it wasnt for the commute part, tomorrow, I'd say I would be able to do a whole days work with no detriment to my recovery.
Whilst getting to work may be your responsibility, how you are treated at work isn't. As every other poster seems to have said, try & change the work that you are doing whilst there.
The fact that you are getting to work shows commitment on your part. Why can your employer not help?

I've mentioned on this forum the fact that I suffer with/from epilepsy. One bad fit in 2002 had repercussions that lasted longer than a week. Speach was nearly impossible, breathing awkward & getting up out of an office seat, to standing upright, could take over five minutes. All I wanted to do was be left to do the job as best I could. Pushing buttons & reading not that hard of a job. Making certain it was entered correctly was slower than usual. This caused some concerns among those in charge, that actually being at work may make it worse. I asked for a chance to prove it wouldn't & that despite being slower I could still do the work.

With regards the piece you quoted, I was treated differently because I cycled. And the person "in charge" of the site where I worked went out of his way to try & prove it wasn't normal, for someone of my age. Cycling to work that is. I got support from others there who also cycled, but drove to work.

Don't let those in charge put you down/knock you for your choice of transport, and if it comes to it lodge a complaint. Seek adjustment in the work that you are doing whilst injured. DDA 1995 classed it as reasonable adjusment. Uncertain what the Equalities Act calls it.

How many people with colds, flu and winter vomitting virus do you share your bike with?

Then ask how many you shared the bus / train with!

Top Bottom