Cycling, seizures, and anti-epileptic drugs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

OK, recently experienced some seizures secondary to a brain tumour (:smile:) and have undergone a de-bulking of the tumour and am currently awaiting the histology results before a decision is made regarding chemo or radio-therapy follow on.

I've not cycled for 3 months in the run up to this problem becoming apparent, but once my neuro surgeon & neurologist give me the nod then I intend to restart the gym and get some gentle cycling miles in.

So are there any other forummers out there who have any tips for cycling with a seizure disorder, and whether they find their particular AED's have any unpleasant effects on exercise? From the tired/knackered/spaced out side effects I've had in the two weeks since starting treatment I really cannot see there being any performance enhancing aspects, I'm wondering more whether heavy legs/muscle pains or lack of endurance would be more likely to occur? I'm not a competitive cyclist so am not worried about either of my AED's appearing on a banned list (I'm on Phenytoin 300mg daily and Epilim Chrono 500mg daily currently)

Don't do what I did, stop cycling! I used to be on Phenytoin too, fortunately I escaped the brain tumour bit. I'm off the the tablets now and don't think about it. Looking back it was time wasted as I never had a fit in a potentially dangerous place. I hope you're on the mend soon.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

HLaB said:
Don't do what I did, stop cycling! I used to be on Phenytoin too, fortunately I escaped the brain tumour bit. I'm off the the tablets now and don't think about it. Looking back it was time wasted as I never had a fit in a potentially dangerous place. I hope you're on the mend soon.

No intentions to stop cycling, in fact I feel my lack of exercise for the last 3 months has been to due a lack of willing caused by some personality changes that can fairly & squarely be blamed on my tumour. My wife says I'm back to normal since my op last week - I don't know if that is a compliment or not!!!!!!!

I have been told that my phenytoin won't be a longer term treatment, and that I should eventually just end up on Epilim Chrono in the not too distant future.

Top Bottom