Cycling slowly raises odds of an accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
This would've been news 40 years ago perhaps, but today?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
"A study found that cyclists travelling at 8mph or below were involved in a far larger number of traffic incidents and near-misses than those riding at 12mph or above"

That's not evidence for the assertion that it's cycling slowly that raises the odds of an individual having an accident.

I would imagine that it could be said equally truthfully that blue-eyed cyclists are involved in more accidents than brown-eyed ones.

machew

Veteran
Is it the case that faster cyclists are more assertive cyclists?
or
faster cyclists don't cycle in the door zone
etc

correlation doesn't imply causation

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Indeed. It's drivers crashing into people cycling slowly that raise a the odds of having an accident, not cycling slowly itself.

I can't get past the Times paywall so I haven't got to the part, if any, where it actually offers evidence that the odds of having an accident have anything to do with speed.

It's perfectly possible that the reason more accidents involve slow cyclists is that there are more of the latter.

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't read it either.

It perfectly possible that more accidents simply happen in environments where cyclists are forced to ride slower, such as heavy traffic. Until we all have GPS chips implanted in our buttocks the article is little more than speculation.

This is most, but not all of the article (I hope I am avoiding copyright issues, if not please delete)

Not much in the way of evidence quoted, but I assume there is some. For what it is worth, I find myself going quickly when I feel i am on a dangerous road. Probably in order to get off it and on to my preferred backwaters.

"Slow cyclists are three times more likely to be hit by cars than those travelling at high speeds because they are “less hardy”, according to research.

A study found that cyclists travelling at 8mph or below were involved in a far larger number of traffic incidents and near-misses than those riding at 12mph or above. Researchers suggested that faster cyclists may be treated with more respect by drivers and subjected to fewer overtaking manoeuvres. Slower and “less hardy” cyclists may also be vulnerable to near misses, it was claimed."

"Slow cyclists are three times more likely to be hit by cars than those travelling at high speeds...
... makes sense; I get far more impatient idiocy while struggling uphill (and we have some ******s of hills in Leeds), compared to much faster cycling on the level/downhill, where it is so much easier to be assertive of, and "in control" of, my space.

... because they are “less hardy”, according to research.
... is a particularly noxious piece of victim-blaming.

Top Bottom