Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
I wouldn't get carried away. It wasn't CC like. IIRC it was a couple of web pages and a postal address you could write to if you wanted to buy the club jersey. There was an email dist list though.

Impressive enough though - don't think I got the internet (or compooter) at home until 2001

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I did a couple of Sportives when i got my first road bike. I had a great day out with the friends i was doing it with but got completly put off by the "all the gear no idea " and dont get me started on being bullied off my local lanes by some of the door handles that take part in them.

However don't get them confused with those Audax boys and girls. They are a whole different ball game. They know their stuff, are considerate road users, do some hard core mileage and don't desimate the areas that they ride it. They also tend to be really helpful if you have a mechanical and are full of great advice.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did a couple of Sportives when i got my first road bike. I had a great day out with the friends i was doing it with but got completly put off by the "all the gear no idea " and dont get me started on being bullied off my local lanes by some of the door handles that take part in them.

However don't get them confused with those Audax boys and girls. They are a whole different ball game. They know their stuff, are considerate road users, do some hard core mileage and don't desimate the areas that they ride it. They also tend to be really helpful if you have a mechanical and are full of great advice.
You forgot the bit about helping old ladies across the road. ;)

Venod

Eh up

And they have beards without a top knot.

I get this manure all the time. It winds me up. On Monday, I was doing a leisurely recce, of a short (mostly park / path) route, near me, so I could get a couple of friends, who are wavering about whether or not to cycle, to improve their health , out on their bikes. I was on my (favourite) cheap as chips, triggers broom bike (an old BTWIN Riverside Hybrid). There was one section which took me onto a road. Lo and behold, a FPKW, who seemed be out with some sort of mini douche version of himself, passed way too close, then turned round and told me "you should be on the cycle path riding that thing so slowly". Then he started shouting at the mini douche about how the mini douches cadence a had dropped below 70, "come on Tarquin, don't forget to spin", "POWER Tarquin, POWER", etc. etc. etc. I laughed so hard I nearly wobbled in front of a bus. In short, do it for your own reasons, on whatever bike you want, screw the golf club brigade.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I get this manure all the time. It winds me up. On Monday, I was doing a leisurely recce, of a short (mostly park / path) route, near me, so I could get a couple of friends, who are wavering about whether or not to cycle, to improve their health , out on their bikes. I was on my (favourite) cheap as chips, triggers broom bike (an old BTWIN Riverside Hybrid). There was one section which took me onto a road. Lo and behold, a FPKW, who seemed be out with some sort of mini douche version of himself, passed way too close, then turned round and told me "you should be on the cycle path riding that thing so slowly". Then he started shouting at the mini douche about how the mini douches cadence a had dropped below 70, "come on Tarquin, don't forget to spin", "POWER Tarquin, POWER", etc. etc. etc. I laughed so hard I nearly wobbled in front of a bus. In short, do it for your own reasons, on whatever bike you want, screw the golf club brigade.

FPKW?
Was the child really called Tarquin?

yello

I think we ought find this child and rescue them.

The name, the fpkw expectations... that's gotta be something social services ought be alerted to.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've become the opposite. I bought a dale carbon to see what all the fuss was about (its a blxxdy brilliant bike) but if I were buying again, then I'd buy bottom of the range stuff (2300, sora, tiagra kinda thing). As long as the gear ratios are suitable, I'm good to go.

You should tell those snobs that their bikes just aren't good enough. If they've spent £3k on a bike, just the them they could have got nicer wheels. If they spent £2k on wheels, tell them their frame isn't steel. If the frame is steel, tell them it isn't carbon. And so on.

If they mock you for having a low end bike, tell them you're only a beginner but they aren't as advanced as they think they are on account of their measly four grand bikes.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Get one's chap to tell them to go f*** themselves....
One's cycling clobber today was supplied by F&F, trainers by Regatta, a Decathlon Wed'ze thermal top, a pair of George's boxers, jacket by Mountain Warehouse,padded shorts by Crivit..
Label freak I am....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Does anyone else remember Team 50p? It was an internet-based cycling club (largely MTB iirc) in the late 80s/early 90s with the motto of "What's the point of having a £1000 bike if you've only got 50p legs"
Purely as a coincidence, I just got back from Welling, and took my cycling shorts off to find a 50p sticking to my leg. I've no idea how it got there but I suspect it did the return journey. Note, only one 50p leg - that's inflation for you.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The best rider I know (personally) rides a £200 10 year old Claude butler, wears a running top, arm warmers that are embarrassingly too short and refuses to service his rear mech so that it squeals on evey shift. Yet he covers around 10,000 miles a year and can put any club rider we meet to shame.

Mind you, I still dock him demerits on every ride for general tardiness and appearance, it's the only opportunity I get to feel superior.

So I guess the point is, yes, experience can create snobbery but mostly from insecurity

Top Bottom