Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Purely as a coincidence, I just got back from Welling, and took my cycling shorts off to find a 50p sticking to my leg. I've no idea how it got there but I suspect it did the return journey. Note, only one 50p leg - that's inflation for you.
Surprised you got out of Welling with that much money left on you!!

MiK1138

Veteran
Get one's chap to tell them to go f*** themselves....
One's cycling clobber today was supplied by F&F, trainers by Regatta, a Decathlon Wed'ze thermal top, a pair of George's boxers, jacket by Mountain Warehouse,padded shorts by Crivit..
Label freak I am....
Majority of my cycle wear comes from the House of Lidl

Venod

Eh up
I get this manure all the time. It winds me up. On Monday, I was doing a leisurely recce, of a short (mostly park / path) route, near me, so I could get a couple of friends, who are wavering about whether or not to cycle, to improve their health , out on their bikes. I was on my (favourite) cheap as chips, triggers broom bike (an old BTWIN Riverside Hybrid). There was one section which took me onto a road. Lo and behold, a FPKW, who seemed be out with some sort of mini douche version of himself, passed way too close, then turned round and told me "you should be on the cycle path riding that thing so slowly". Then he started shouting at the mini douche about how the mini douches cadence a had dropped below 70, "come on Tarquin, don't forget to spin", "POWER Tarquin, POWER", etc. etc. etc. I laughed so hard I nearly wobbled in front of a bus. In short, do it for your own reasons, on whatever bike you want, screw the golf club brigade.

Calling your child Tarquin is just wrong, but so is pedalling with the wrong cadence (no matter what gear you wear or bike you ride) as i am always telling the grandsons Jack, Zack & Tom.

ayceejay

Guru
I find reverse snobbery equally as annoying personally. If you wear old torn kit in need of a wash I couldn't care less but should you decide to tell me that as result you are faster/more laid back/happier than me as a result then you are a snob.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Cyclists' ability to factionalise still amazes me.

Trickedem

Guru
The best rider I know (personally) rides a £200 10 year old Claude butler, wears a running top, arm warmers that are embarrassingly too short and refuses to service his rear mech so that it squeals on evey shift. Yet he covers around 10,000 miles a year and can put any club rider we meet to shame.
@ianrauk is this your alter-ego from some weird parallel universe? 10k miles and obsession with rear mechs?

bpsmith

Veteran
Snobbery or reverse snobbery is bloody annoying, in equal measures.

Just because someone is wearing Castelli or Rapha doesn't mean they have an opinion on why someone is wearing less expensive gear. Likewise, if someone is wearing less expensive kit then it doesn't mean that they can't afford more expensive gear.

The assumption of either, or other issues, is a problem for the person making said assumption!

Top Bottom