Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSoulReaver03

Every morning I wake up around seven, according to my Apple watch, the watch has an app. that allows me to check: the weather, the hew being caste by the sun and what everyone else will be wearing today to cope with these conditions - then I check my Rapha wardrobe. Lately the beard/no beard thing has been a drag until I sourced www,faceup.com so now I am set, until - oh my Lord black bikes are non de rigeur, if only Swatch would enter this market. And then today some oik on a totally non u thing bought in the High Street called me a snob WELL - nobber to him.

Disclaimer for ralieghnut - none of this is true.

Shave your beard. It's more aero m8. While you're at it, shave your legs. That's about 0.00000000000000000000001% less wind drag. That equals to 2 seconds on a 3 hour ride. BIG DIFFERENCE!

ayceejay

Guru
Shave your beard. It's more aero m8. While you're at it, shave your legs. That's about 0.00000000000000000000001% less wind drag. That equals to 2 seconds on a 3 hour ride. BIG DIFFERENCE!

That is SOOOOO yesterday.

martint235

Dog on a bike
What you really need to do is clothes yourself from head to foot in Rapha. Get a £5k carbon bike. Learn how to ride it really fast. Then one Saturday morning, misjudge a corner, hit some gravel and slide along the tarmac on your a**e and gear levers for a few yards. Then you'll remember why the cheap stuff is perfectly adequate.

What you really need to do is clothes yourself from head to foot in Rapha. Get a £5k carbon bike. Learn how to ride it really fast. Then one Saturday morning, misjudge a corner, hit some gravel and slide along the tarmac on your a**e and gear levers for a few yards. Then you'll remember why the cheap stuff is perfectly adequate.

Except that the cheap stuff may rip even more than the pricier kit and in the case of Rapha you may be able to actually get it repaired(possibly for freeshock-horror).

Certain amount of reverse snobbery on this thread,you know sometimes pricier things are better.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Except that the cheap stuff may rip even more than the pricier kit and in the case of Rapha you may be able to actually get it repaired(possibly for freeshock-horror).

Certain amount of reverse snobbery on this thread,you know sometimes pricier things are better.
It might do. But ripped is ripped and it needs replacing.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yep, and the thing is, cheap (let's re-phrase that as "inexpensive", shall we?) works just fine for some people.

Nalini's least expensive bib shorts are, in my experience, poor. DHBs are fine. For some bottoms, the Nalinis could be the best shorts EVS, or both choices may pale next to anything other than a set of bibs that happens to cost more than £150. Fizik's Arione is a bit too flat for me, but an Aliante or a Brooks works fine. I don't wear my pricey merino jerseys on commutes and short rides, but I'm glad of them on long rides, especially on days where the temperature is variable.

What matters is that the stuff that you're using works for you, and, obviously, that you're not bankrupting yourself, lacking cake money, or making your children go hungry by buying it.

Some people like the expensive stuff because they feel it gives them no excuse but to do their best (they can't complain that the gear is holding them back). Some like it because of the design, or the cachet is carries. Some like it because they're nobbers who like to look down on other people.

Similarly, there are people who are very anxious to let you know that a bin bag with three holes cut in it works just as nicely as your fancy jersey, thanks very much, as much as there are people who like inexpensive kit because it suits them fine.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy *your* riding. Someone else is always faster, has a nicer bike, &c &c &c. That's life, innit.

pclay

Veteran
I saw a guy on a Carrera TDF with full Castelli kit (real or fake?) and with toe clips. I don't think myself as a snob (most of my shorts are Tenn), but this guy just did not look right.

J1888

Über Member
I saw a guy on a Carrera TDF with full Castelli kit (real or fake?) and with toe clips. I don't think myself as a snob (most of my shorts are Tenn), but this guy just did not look right.

Maybe his spare bike, what what?

Top Bottom