Cycling the whole coast of Ireland - anyone done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
irl
@BikesBab if you're a reader you might enjoy McCarthy's Bar, a tale of a man drifting semi aimlessly around the west of Ireland with a similar "rule" to your own. An entertaining and uplifting read to pass the time and whet the appetite as you plan
Oh I LOVE that book! definitely a laugh-out-loud read. I got to the section where he recounts a bad flight and a worse ferry journey while i was on a packed train and was crying with laughter.

Brooks saddles are the only saddles I find comfortable for more than a few miles.
see above tryed - rider seems to have "changed" mid-ride.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Google has been at it again :smile:

aw.png

It's the second time that this has happened to me in as many weeks. I got this after looking at the OLMO thread:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/olmo.243032/#post-6587394

Last edited:
OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Been a bit busy with my other commitments lately, but have just managed to complete my virtual trip round Ireland, mapping it via ridewithgps. It's NOT meant to be the finished route - I've not looked up good cycle routes yet or corrected to avoid taking routes right up and down mountains (though I do like a good hill climb) or anything like that, but it seems to be 2,209 miles, or 3555 km (HobbesOnTour, you were almost spot-on! ), if you did what I do and basically follow every road that hugs the coast without actually going down any roads that you have to come back up later, if you see what i mean. So at an average of 50 miles a day that's 44 days' cycling. Reckon if I take 2 months off work (which is possible.....) I can do it easily with some rest/swim/hangover/bike repair days thrown in and getting to Dublin and back. As previously mentioned, this is NOT intended to be a road race but an experience with time to swim, watch nature and chat to people....

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38115422?privacy_code=OR6zb0293qYoDHVJ

K

Last edited:
OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Been a bit busy with my other commitments lately, but have just managed to complete my virtual trip round Ireland, mapping it via ridewithgps. It's NOT meant to be the finished route - I've not looked up good cycle routes yet or corrected to avoid taking routes right up and down mountains (though I do like a good hill climb) or anything like that, but it seems to be 2,209 miles, or 3555 km (HobbesOnTour, you were almost spot-on! ), if you did what I do and basically follow every road that hugs the coast without actually going down any roads that you have to come back up later, if you see what i mean. So at an average of 50 miles a day that's 44 days' cycling. Reckon if I take 2 months off work (which is possible.....) I can do it easily with some rest/swim/hangover/bike repair days thrown in and getting to Dublin and back. As previously mentioned, this is NOT intended to be a road race but an experience with time to swim, watch nature and chat to people....

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38115422?privacy_code=OR6zb0293qYoDHVJ

K
MM, I speak too soon - I think when I was in the south and still getting used to the software I managed to miss a few chunks off! So just tweaking it a bit, but you get the general idea and I don;t think it'll add many miles on.

avsd

Guru
Two loops in Donegal may be worth investigating - Horn Head near Dunfanaghy -savage climbs and tricky descents but fabulous views/cliffs and Atlantic Drive near Carrigart - lumpy but great coastal views. Also in that area is the Ards Friary near Creeslough and Glenveigh National Park.

tyred

Legendary Member
Two loops in Donegal may be worth investigating - Horn Head near Dunfanaghy -savage climbs and tricky descents but fabulous views/cliffs and Atlantic Drive near Carrigart - lumpy but great coastal views. Also in that area is the Ards Friary near Creeslough and Glenveigh National Park.
Definitely a great area and rides I've done many times. Combine it with Fanad head as well now that there's a bride to link it all together.

At the other end of Donegal, the Teelin/Carrick/Glencolumbkille area is well worth a visit. Lumpy but quiet single-track coastal roads.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Many years ago I did Mizen to Malin via Dublin, about 420 miles iirc. The roads were a lot quieter then. Wonderful experience, met lot’s of lovely people. I’m sure you’ll have a great adventure. If I could offer one word of advice it would be to keep a daily diary of your adventure and discipline yourself to write in it every day. I didn’t bother and now many years later the memories have all sort of blended together.

Many years ago I did Mizen to Malin via Dublin, about 420 miles iirc. The roads were a lot quieter then. Wonderful experience, met lot’s of lovely people. I’m sure you’ll have a great adventure. If I could offer one word of advice it would be to keep a daily diary of your adventure and discipline yourself to write in it every day. I didn’t bother and now many years later the memories have all sort of blended together.
I'd second that advice.
Consider also Strava or RWGPS for recording the ride and any photos, especially (but not necessarily) if you use your phone for photos. A great daily record that literally is organised within minutes.
And there's always the Travelogue section here on CC too!^_^

Top Bottom