Cycling to lose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not sure of the above, I thought at a steady pace (say at least 18 mph on average) you will do well to burn 500 calories per hour. I may be wrong, comments from others ?
I used to ride the Manchester 100 in 6 hours and burn a pound of fat each time. I was averaging just under 17 mph, and burning about 575 cals/hr.
How much does the Op weigh? This will have an influence too I believe on calories burnt for a given amount of effort?
It doesn't make a lot of difference on the flat. I put the numbers into some bike calculator software and what a 150 lb cyclist burned 543 cals doing would only cost a 250 lb cyclist an extra 27 cals. It makes a huge difference when climbing though - the same speed up a mere 2% drag would cost the 150 lb cyclist about 1,000 cals/hr and the heavier cyclist about 1,200.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting, we have no idea of the OP's 11 miles. In Yorkshire, it would all be uphill, in London, mostly flat

VamP

Banned
I used to ride the Manchester 100 in 6 hours and burn a pound of fat each time. I was averaging just under 17 mph, and burning about 575 cals/hr.

It doesn't make a lot of difference on the flat. I put the numbers into some bike calculator software and what a 150 lb cyclist burned 543 cals doing would only cost a 250 lb cyclist an extra 27 cals. It makes a huge difference when climbing though - the same speed up a mere 2% drag would cost the 150 lb cyclist about 1,000 cals/hr and the heavier cyclist about 1,200.

The 250lb cyclist would have to be phenomenally strong to ride uphill for an hour at a speed that would net him 1200 calories. Like pro level strong. Even 1000 cals/hour requires well above average level of fitness.

redcard

Veteran
On top of this cycling before eating breakfast or drinking anything with sugar is good way to burn fat. (the distance can't be too far else you will hit the wall- 11 miles should be ok).

Not sure that cycling before breakfast or drinking anything with sugar would have any effect on fat burning. Your point about distance is just words.

I'd like to know the science behind that.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ok - i'm 240lbs - last night i did a gut wrenching 10mile TT on the turbo - time was 27.52 with average speed at 21.6mph average 89rpm and my garmin and turbo data said a calorie burn of 402 calories.

i personally have always worked on the premise of 40cals per mile, rightly or wrongly so both my data readings are not far out.

so there is no way you can spin at 60rpm for 40mins and burn 650 calories

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
At 220lbs myself, I can do a lumpy 10 mile TT in under 28mins, but climbing is much harder, found that out on the local 1mile 8% on average climb at the weekend :biggrin: on the fixed.

However as everyone else is saying, to lose weight you need to change your diet and excersise can help with that but I`m guilty and sure the rest are as well,if you think that you can commute 20+ miles everyday and stuff your face with all sorts, you will lose weight.

I know what my vice is and its the weekend wines, I reckon if I could cut that out alot then I could shift a stone at least :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
I can do a 10tt on the turbo in less than 15 minutes quite easily, I just do not have the tyre touching the roller^_^

Sorry but TT on a turbo is meaningless unless used as a reference for next time you do the same, of course you will need to calibrate the turbo, to get the same reading.

Heres how I measure turbo effort...

10x3, 5x4, 10x3, 5x4, 10x3 [130]

Time multiplied by resistance level basically. Always in the same gear, except for a 1 min x 52/12 out of saddle interval every session. The number at the end is its "score".

In isolation it means nothing whatsover, its just a tool to compare sessions.

Wow - and you think sports science is a load of hoodoo.. :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you calibrate your turbo to come up with a consistent score. Must admit I now only cycle for pleasure and exercise so I do not get as technical as I used to. I do 2 road sessions, 3 swims and 2 turbo sessions a week, so maybe a bit more than just exercise. But with nasty arthritus my racing days are over.

Top Bottom