Cycling to lose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
t

that is just a ride i do twice a day, to the other halfs, on weekends i do 30-40 miles at a time with a slightly lower average pace

and honestly mate i tried everything else before that and that was the only thing that worked for me, my metabolism is abnormal.

screenman

Legendary Member
and honestly mate i tried everything else before that and that was the only thing that worked for me, my metabolism is abnormal.
Out of interest what is your waist and chest measurements. How do you know that your metabolism is at fault?

Try googling slow metabolism, you may find some good points.

jack smith

Veteran
36 waist and 46 chest, neither have fat on them and are solid. the only fat i've got is abit in the thighs and arse tbh so thats what i am trying to loose although my leg look very big and toned til i sit down then the thighs bulge out but when stood upright they are very muscular, im stumped at how to go about it to be honest

jack smith

Veteran
never happened, infact its gotten worse, if you are over your bmi from just a height and weight measurement you cant even apply. i had lots of issued and complained appealed allsorts at first and they wouldnt use a tape measure or calipers, i only got through it by proving i could run a mile and a half in sub 9 mins.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
The issue with the army is they are very strict on bmi.

How are they measuring this? If it's a chart of weight versus height it's too simplistic. TBH I'd a have thought overall fitness was a better indicatory of performance for someone in your line of work. Oh, if you're building muscle it will have been constructed from using the food you eat - you can't bulk up on fresh air - so diet is something to look into.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The calorie count on that ride is way to high an estimate

5 miles @ 40 calories a mile = 200 calories burnt at the most.

jack smith

Veteran
simple shop bought scales and a ruler stuck on the wall...thats how high tech they are.... they defer you on medical grounds cause " your fat" and if you are over your bmi apparently you are prone to injury if you exercise so they wont let you prove your fitness either.. rediculous,
first time i went to selection i asked to talk to one of the doctors after the nurse said i was too much over my bmi to carry on to explain that i am fully fit, and he answered extremely blunt and rudely. "no your just fat nothing we can do. go home" ( they are all heartless stuck up overly glorified civvy gp's that get to come to the barracks for a few hours a week and think they are servicemen/women) i made sure i got the same doctor to check me over next time i went up to selection and i made sure i was very sarcastic when showing him my fitness records i got done by private healthcare and run results i did with the recruitment office ;) fair to say he was speechless and didnt even mutter a word about any of his previous words that i reminded him of ;)

jack smith

Veteran
this was after i was passed and the actual soldiers there told them what idiots they were. anyway back on topic, dont want this thread to get closed! :smile:

montage

God Almighty
simple shop bought scales and a ruler stuck on the wall...thats how high tech they are.... they defer you on medical grounds cause " your fat" and if you are over your bmi apparently you are prone to injury if you exercise so they wont let you prove your fitness either.. rediculous,
first time i went to selection i asked to talk to one of the doctors after the nurse said i was too much over my bmi to carry on to explain that i am fully fit, and he answered extremely blunt and rudely. "no your just fat nothing we can do. go home" ( they are all heartless stuck up overly glorified civvy gp's that get to come to the barracks for a few hours a week and think they are servicemen/women) i made sure i got the same doctor to check me over next time i went up to selection and i made sure i was very sarcastic when showing him my fitness records i got done by private healthcare and run results i did with the recruitment office ;) fair to say he was speechless and didnt even mutter a word about any of his previous words that i reminded him of ;)

The military is heavy with red tape as I am sure you know. There are rules and procedures in place which are strictly adhered to, and you obviously failed to comply with these due to your bodyweight. This is not the fault of the doctor, it is yours, so show some kind of respect rather than taking your own shortcomings out on the messenger.

You are doing the right thing to address your weight and I wish you the best of luck with bringing it down. Time your rides so that your meals follow straight after to avoid snacking, avoid junk calories and get as many hours in on the bike as you can (mix it up a bit, some days go and smash the hills, some days go easy, some days try and get the highest average speed for a route as possible). Cycling IMO helps the loss of bodyweight, but is just one cog necessary in the change in lifestyle needed to shift those kilos.

jack smith

Veteran
unless you have met said doctors ( not sure if you have for all i know you could of but i doubt you have) you will know they have very poor and rude attitudes and often care more about getting off early than properly assesing people or taking extra time to further investigate and have had so many complaints that said doctors have now been given the boot. i think i will try to mix it up abit, some mid distance fast rides and some long hilly rides

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
According to Mr Garmin the 30 mile ride I did this morning at a proper ( not internet speed) 16mph burned 871 calories. 29 calories per mile, now where did I put those 3 Mars bars.

50000tears

All this talk over how many calories burnt over what effort is irrelevant to the OP. One of the first things you do if you take up a sport with any serious intent is to cut a lot of the crap you eat out of your diet. Doesn't mean you have to always eat healthy but those sneaky chocolate bars, biscuits and crisps should be cut out. Do that and perhaps watch portion sizing too is all you need along with your exercise for the weight to come off slowly but surely. Sadly far too many people, and I work with a lot of them, think that any exercise gives them a free pass to then stuff themselves with goodies from the vending machine. Than again you cannot count these people as having any serious intent at all!

Top Bottom