Cycling to lose weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

campagman

Guru
your cycling is to improve your cycling
losing weight should be by your diet
cycling to lose weight is not needed if these are controlled

400bhp

Guru
Man, some of you are obsessed with calories burnt:wacko:

Just ride your bike. Ride it harder you burn more.

Same with food. Eat a bit less and/or eat more healthily.

It annoys me that a "lifestyle" becomes a counting game (and an incorrect counting game at that).

I've not looked into it (cos I shouldn't need to) but calorific intake/outake will be stochastic in nature. A potato aint the same as another potato.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Man, some of you are obsessed with calories burnt:wacko:

Just ride your bike. Ride it harder you burn more.

Same with food. Eat a bit less and/or eat more healthily.

It annoys me that a "lifestyle" becomes a counting game (and an incorrect counting game at that).

I've not looked into it (cos I shouldn't need to) but calorific intake/outake will be stochastic in nature. A potato aint the same as another potato.
In case anybody doesn't know what 'stochastic' means - read this.

Ok, if you still don't understand what it means - try again. Several times ... :laugh:

jack smith

Veteran
Hi all, just after abit of help with this, I'm 240lbs, got abit if fat but mainly muscle, I'm due back with the army later Thisyear, I cycle daily, usually 12 miles a day but sometimes over 20, there are some decent hills in my area but I really struggle on them,( probably because of my weight) I can pick up top 20's on the flat with no issues and hold it for miles as I have very powerful legs....but hills I just can not do whatsoever, is hill climbing good for losing weight? Or am I better off keeping the high pace on "lumpy" routes , my leg muscles look ridiculously big since starting on the bike to the point I needed to buy new jeans lol so I, worried with what I'm doing I could be putting on more muscle than fat. The issue with the army is they are very strict on bmi, so I need to loose both muscle and fat if possible.

screenman

Legendary Member
18mph is a breeze, my internet riding speed is 28mph and that with no hands.

18mph steady pace would normally be for somebody who can race at 25mph+I would say.

david k

Hi
Endomondo doesnt know if im on my heavy hybrid or road bike so surely that would affect calorie burn?

I just use the figures as a rough guide, they dont mean a lot to me, just something to add a little interest in looking over previous similar rides.

In short you will burn calories when cycling and the more you do the more you burn, so if you want to lose weight have a healthy diet and cycle as much as you feel you can

screenman

Legendary Member
I know I have just eaten 210 calories I did not need to, but I did enjoy them. 15 extra minutes on the turbo needed tonight at about 200w to get rid of them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi all, just after abit of help with this, I'm 240lbs, got abit if fat but mainly muscle, I'm due back with the army later Thisyear, I cycle daily, usually 12 miles a day but sometimes over 20, there are some decent hills in my area but I really struggle on them,( probably because of my weight) I can pick up top 20's on the flat with no issues and hold it for miles as I have very powerful legs....but hills I just can not do whatsoever, is hill climbing good for losing weight? Or am I better off keeping the high pace on "lumpy" routes , my leg muscles look ridiculously big since starting on the bike to the point I needed to buy new jeans lol so I, worried with what I'm doing I could be putting on more muscle than fat. The issue with the army is they are very strict on bmi, so I need to loose both muscle and fat if possible.
I doubt you are putting much noticeable muscle on with those rides.

Does the Army not offer you advice and training facilities.

jack smith

Veteran
my upper body is the same lol, big chest shoulder's and biceps, i just need to loose the bit of fat i have but i think i might be pushing myself too hard, this is a snapshot from tonights ride, not pushing myself and with no meals beforehand at 4pm is this a good pace to be cycling for weight loss? or do i need to speed up?

^^^^
they do, but only to people who can achieve their bmi, i physically cant no matter what i do, and ive fasted and exercised to exhaustion for weeks pre joining to even get considered, and before then i was very muscular, when i became the dweeb after it all i was still a good 10kg over

Attachments

• 1176379_10200470690488518_790588642_n.jpg
    1176379_10200470690488518_790588642_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 50

screenman

Legendary Member
my upper body is the same lol, big chest shoulder's and biceps, i just need to loose the bit of fat i have but i think i might be pushing myself too hard, this is a snapshot from tonights ride, not pushing myself and with no meals beforehand at 4pm is this a good pace to be cycling for weight loss? or do i need to speed up?

^^^^
they do, but only to people who can achieve their bmi, i physically cant no matter what i do, and ive fasted and exercised to exhaustion for weeks pre joining to even get considered, and before then i was very muscular, when i became the dweeb after it all i was still a good 10kg over

Get a dietician, fasting is certainly noy the way to do it.

The ride is no way long enough to lose weight, get some 3 and 4 hour rides in and write down everything you eat for a month.

jack smith

Veteran
t
Get a dietician, fasting is certainly noy the way to do it.

The ride is no way long enough to lose weight, get some 3 and 4 hour rides in and write down everything you eat for a month.

that is just a ride i do twice a day, to the other halfs, on weekends i do 30-40 miles at a time with a slightly lower average pace

Top Bottom