Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
My fear is that people stretch the rules, they will be tightened further

Personally, I'm restricting my suburban, observing social distancing cycling to an hour. That would be pretty normal for me (maybe more at weekends). Is 2-2.5 hours a day cycling normal for you? Presumably you are alternating walk/cycle days as the permitted rules?

Ultimately though it's up to you to decide (and the authorities to enforce)

I don't normally go out every day on my bike but at the weekend previously might do anything up to 6 hours which is clearly not now reasonable.

I am mainly so far going for a walk with my family at 9pm which is partly to get them out the house for some exercise each day.

I will only go out once a day so either a walk or cycle.

I came back home on Sunday afternoon because I was unhappy with how many people were out. Hence now going out later.

Velochris

Über Member
There are no authorities at 9pm in my village to see how long my evening walk is nor anyone else for that matter. I am happy by going out at 9pm I am no risk to anyone and that is what matters. Other than my family my social interaction is zero and will be until we need to go to the shops when we run out of food.

I don't think anybody doubts your actions would lead to any risk.

The point that I have made is that it is not about the risk our actions may incur, but about acting as a society as a whole.

In doing so, we are all in it together. If we all decide to risk assess individually, even if that shows no risk, the system fails.

The cunundrum is more about our attitude to following the guidelines for the benefit of the whole society, as oppose to our individual attitude to risk.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s a difficult one. To have a good chance of social isolation the country lanes are the best for your cycle ride / exercise. But to get there and do a loop may take you over what many consider minimising time. If you minimise time you may end up on crowded cycle ways or roads because everyone is close to home in high density urban areas. This is what has been happening in some of the parks which are surrounded by large numbers of people.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don’t come into any contact with person or object other than your bike or your shoes. Why oh why does it need to be time restricted?
Ask UK gov ( you can address questions via the BBC website), they have requested that time outside the house should be minimised. It’s a blanket request not rural vs suburban vs urban for example

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Ask UK gov ( you can address questions via the BBC website), they have requested that time outside the house should be minimised. It’s a blanket request not rural vs suburban vs urban for example

The problem is what does mimimised mean? If you go out for 20 minutes you could have gone out for ten, if you went out for ten you could stay at home. You say you go out for an hour - but how do you work that out as being the "correct" amount of time versus some longer or shorter period. It's a judgement call. There is no right answer I am sure we are all doing what we think is reasonable in the circumstances.

Velochris

Über Member
If there are no other pedestrians or cyclists on the road you can't give or receive the virus to them or from them.

If you are the only car on the road speeding you can crash.
Why would I be more likely to crash in a car, on a road without traffic, as oppose to crashing a bicycle, on a road without traffic.

Again, you are focusing on attitude to individual risk, as oppose to attitude to the rules of society.

Only my observations, and we won't argue.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Why would I be more likely to crash in a car, on a road without traffic, as oppose to crashing a bicycle, on a road without traffic.

Again, you are focusing on attitude to individual risk, as oppose to attitude to the rules of society.

Only my observations, and we won't argue.

My thinking was that driving over the speed limit would make you more likely to crash irrespective of other vehicles. I am not advocating cycling in a dangerous manor in the current circumstances - or any others come to that. If you go out on your bike currently take extra care and if you go in a car likewise and don't speed.

Velochris

Über Member
My thinking was that driving over the speed limit would make you more likely to crash irrespective of other vehicles. I am not advocating cycling in a dangerous manor in the current circumstances - or any others come to that. If you go out on your bike currently take extra care and if you go in a car likewise and don't speed.
My thinking was that cycling for 2 hours means you are more likely to crash than cycling for 1 hour. This could be extended, and as you rightly say, where do you draw the line? As things appear to be heading, the Government may well have to implement some form of direction.

I am working in the perception of society in general. They would not look at the actual risk, but if it is really appropriate at this time to be riding a bike for hours.

Likewise, I never ride dangerously and always take care. It still did not stop me breaking my back and neck, with all the emergency resources that took up (see previous).

Life still has to go on, and exercise is good for our physical and mental wellbeing. My perception (and only mine, so no criticism of others) is that we are in a period of extreme risk minimisation, and to do what we can to help that.

I'll leave it at that.

For all who do venture out, for however long, safe riding.

I am working in the perception of society in general. They would not look at the actual risk, but if it is really appropriate at this time to be riding a bike for hours.
Unless you are doing laps round their house (or office window), how are they going to know?

I'm generally someone who DOES follow rules (in most cases because of the what-if-everyone-broke-them test), but for this SPECIFIC case, it's clear to me that the INTENTION of the rules is far far more important than obeying the letter, or "being seen to obey".

Top Bottom