Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What "limit" is this you are referring to? The prescribed one exercise a day was of no specified length. If one is truly to minimise time - and take that word and meaning literally, as you seem to be doing - that means zero. None. Zilch. That is the minimum - or if you do not wish to consider zero a number, then make it one second. Anything above that is no longer a minimum.

The more sensible discussion was about what is reasonable under the circumstances, and that will vary by location - three hours on a lonely road in the Scottish highlands is not the same as three hours tooling around London.

I was quoting someone else, I didn't refer to any limit.

Your definition of minimising makes no sense for it amounts to not doing it at all.

hoopdriver

Guru
I was quoting someone else, I didn't refer to any limit.

Your definition of minimising makes no sense for it amounts to not doing it at all.
That’s why I moved from zero to one second. Make it one minute if you prefer - a hundred yards down the road and back. That’s certainly minimising

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Local Facebook group. No reports from the public concerned about cyclists going for too long or too far. No reports of my 75 min walk round the village after 9pm. Quite a substantial number of reports of groups of teenagers ignoring the quarantine and roaming the streets in groups and on bikes saying they are young and fit so it does not apply to them.

C R

Guru
My brother shared this a few days ago about the situation in Spain

IMG-20200321-WA0000.jpg

It reads
Today's data from the health and interior ministries
21328 infected
30000 cautioned by police
350 arrested
We have more idiots than sick people

glasgowcyclist

That’s why I moved from zero to one second. Make it one minute if you prefer - a hundred yards down the road and back. That’s certainly minimising

I don’t know why you’d want to go to that extreme, there’d be no benefit.

NHS advice suggests a minimum of 150 minutes per week as part of a healthy lifestyle. I would argue that in these extreme circumstances there’s no necessity for anyone to exceed that outdoors, or at least not by much. And there are plenty of options to exercise without going out in public places.

screenman

Legendary Member
The village face b page is having a rant about all the lycra clad bankers out on their bikes today some in groups.

hoopdriver

Guru
I don’t know why you’d want to go to that extreme, there’d be no benefit.

NHS advice suggests a minimum of 150 minutes per week as part of a healthy lifestyle. I would argue that in these extreme circumstances there’s no necessity for anyone to exceed that outdoors, or at least not by much. And there are plenty of options to exercise without going out in public places.
I mentioned the extreme because you put extra emphasis on minimise in your post. I illustrated what minimise could mean. So it seems you don’t really mean minimise but reduce to a level you feel is appropriate - that is fine for you, but you are not in charge and your arbitrary ruling on what it means to minimise doesn’t bind anyone else.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
I suspect that the reality is a lot are ignoring the advice. Reports of busy road in the Peak district beauty spots also.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

glasgowcyclist

I mentioned the extreme because you put extra emphasis on minimise in your post. I illustrated what minimise could mean. So it seems you don’t really mean minimise but reduce to a level you feel is appropriate - that is fine for you, but you are not in charge and your arbitrary ruling on what it means to minimise doesn’t bind anyone else.

I emphasised it for two reasons; you had referred to exercise of “unspecified length” and I didn’t want anyone to take from that that exercise time outside was limitless, and to make the point that the 3hour ride referred to by another poster was not, in my view, in the spirit of the restrictions.

To me, minimise means doing it only for as long as necessary to achieve the benefit.

hoopdriver

Guru
I emphasised it for two reasons; you had referred to exercise of “unspecified length” and I didn’t want anyone to take from that that exercise time outside was limitless, and to make the point that the 3hour ride referred to by another poster was not, in my view, in the spirit of the restrictions.

To me, minimise means doing it only for as long as necessary to achieve the benefit.
I referred to unspecified length because - guess what? - no time or distance limit was specified and, as far as I am aware, has still not been specified. It was left to conscience and personal judgement. The fact that people on this site are discussing this suggests to me they are looking for reasonable compromise not a way to flout the quarantine. Those who truly don’t care won’t be on here arguing for or against anything but will be out making nuisances of themselves. The fact that you, and I, and others on here care enough to argue over this is, to my way of thinking, a good thing. We take responsibility but have different, legitimate interpretations of what is reasonable no doubt depending on our locations and personal lives.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I referred to unspecified length because - guess what? - no time or distance limit was specified and, as far as I am aware, has still not been specified.
It has been specified, but as two opposing directives to exercise but minimise time away from home. I'm disappointed some have the mentality of stroppy teenagers and say the lack of exact time limit means they can go on a wild-camping tour. It's that sort of shoot which will enable a French-style hard-and-low limit.

hoopdriver

Guru
It has been specified, but as two opposing directives to exercise but minimise time away from home. I'm disappointed some have the mentality of stroppy teenagers and say the lack of exact time limit means they can go on a wild-camping tour. It's that sort of shoot which will enable a French-style hard-and-low limit.
Who suggested a wild camping tour? I don’t recall that post.

And what length of time or distance was specified? I don’t recall that either. Please enlighten

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who suggested a wild camping tour? I don’t recall that post.
I checked and that was on another forum. Sorry for any confusion.

And what length of time or distance was specified? I don’t recall that either. Please enlighten
See above. It is specified but not as a simple unconditional number - it's long enough to get the exercise you need but short enough to minimise time away from home.

Top Bottom