Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I think Mrs Lane has seen something on TV news about groups of people and extrapolated it to us going out as a family of four.
If you're all adults, you could go out separately in pairs
Small children, there's no issue

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
If you're all adults, you could go out separately in pairs
Small children, there's no issue

Why would we need to go out separately in pairs when that is not the guidence?

Ah, Cycling UK, those famous health and epidemiology experts.

It seems simple to me:

The second paragraph it's ok to carry onc cycling if you're not infected.

The third paragraph, if you're self isolating because you're either infected or been in close contact with someone who is infected, then you should stay indoors.

However...

The first paragraph is wrong. The advice for high risk groups is not to self-isolate, but to socially distance themselves. Self isolation is for people who are infected or who have been in close contact with someone who is infected.

Ignore any advice from me, or your neighbour, or Dr Nothing, the self appointed professor of bollocks who wants only to get his face on telly, and even CUK. Take such advice from the NHS website only.

Don't think that is correct. If you are in a high risk group - then you shouldn't go out at all - (As an asthmatic it seems daft to me) - So the only cycling you can do is indoors. Hope I am wrong but thats my reading of it -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

The measures are:
  1. Strictly avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough.
  2. Do not leave your house.
  3. Do not attend any gatherings. This includes gatherings of friends and families in private spaces, for example, family homes, weddings and religious services.
  4. Do not go out for shopping, leisure or travel and, when arranging food or medication deliveries, these should be left at the door to minimise contact.
  5. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think that is correct. If you are in a high risk group - then you shouldn't go out at all - (As an asthmatic it seems daft to me) - So the only cycling you can do is indoors. Hope I am wrong but thats my reading of it -
It depends if you are on the 1.5m specific shield list (like my friend who is immunosuppressed due to lymphoma) vs. being over 70 / having a condition that places you at higher risk but not on the list. The former should not go out, the others are permitted to go out and shop for essentials / try exercise like the rest of us if they feel it is appropriate to their own situation

Ultimately, if you're not on the shield list but have health problems that place you at higher risk should you contract CV19, consider your own situation and whether it is appropriate to go away from home (or stay in and seek help from the household or a volunteer)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

More info https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

It depends if you are on the 1.5m specific shield list (like my friend who is immunosuppressed due to lymphoma) vs. being over 70 / having a condition that places you at higher risk but not on the list. The former should not go out, the others are permitted to go out and shop for essentials / try exercise like the rest of us if they feel it is appropriate to their own situation

Ultimately, if you're not on the shield list but have health problems that place you at higher risk should you contract CV19, consider your own situation and whether it is appropriate to go away from home (or stay in and seek help from the household or a volunteer)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

More info https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

That what I was calling the high risk group. I think I am on that because of the inhaler I take. Although if I wasn't a cyclist I probably wouldn't take the inhaler !

vickster

Legendary Member
NO - but per the asthma UK website - because I take triotpuim I will be. - but my GP isn't the best - so would be surprised if I heard anything.
Have you tried to call them?

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
I misunderstood what you said maybe
Although it might give you a break from the family ;)

Yes good point! Will go out on the bike occasionally for that. Just been trying to make sure they do go out each day think it does them good.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
That what I was calling the high risk group. I think I am on that because of the inhaler I take. Although if I wasn't a cyclist I probably wouldn't take the inhaler !

Like Chris Froome then!!

I am also on the high risk group. I have (mild) asthma. But I am taking it seriously because it is a lung condition. I will still go out for exercise but would prefer to do so when it is quieter and I am less likely to come into contact.

Reactions: C R

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who my GP or Asthma UK ? - I have so little confidence in my GP and Asthma UK have a banner saying they are extremely busy - I don't really want to add to that to ask 'Can I go out on my bike !!"
So ask "should I go out to exercise or not?" I think they'll be happy to handle a genuine call, from some of the shoot I've been reading about various helplines getting.

And if you survive this, please change your farking GP if at all possible. Being registered to one you don't trust is a waste of your time and their available registrations IMO.

Like Chris Froome then!!

I am also on the high risk group. I have (mild) asthma. But I am taking it seriously because it is a lung condition. I will still go out for exercise but would prefer to do so when it is quieter and I am less likely to come into contact.

Thats the sensible thing to do - However if youre inhaler puts you in the high risk group - then you would (IMO) be breaching the guidelines - by leaving the house.

vickster

Legendary Member
Who my GP or Asthma UK ? - I have so little confidence in my GP and Asthma UK have a banner saying they are extremely busy - I don't really want to add to that to ask 'Can I go out on my bike !!"
GP - I assume the question is 'am I on the shielding list' If they don't know, ask to speak to Dr / asthma nurse to check (and clarify as triotropium taken)

Top Bottom