Cycling UK Advice Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
I've slipped in the bath more times than I've come off the bike. I just feel if we can't keep ourselves mentally and physically fit, this is going to be unbearable and potentially lead to more health problems.

I was speaking in relation to my own situation. So, for the physical and mental wellbeing of society, I can mange, but accept for many, their mental wellbeing needs it.

My own experience is that taking up three police cars, an ambulance, a helicopter, several doctors, two consultants and three weeks of nursing, would give me great guilt at the moment, more so than it did at the time.

There are risks to anything. Life still has to go on and it is a difficult balance for each individual to weigh up, based on their circumstances.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Is the question more about do we cycle for sport and pleasure and exercise is a by product?
Our sport is probably unique in that it takes place on the public highway.

Some interesting points here, when I was younger I would have fallen into the sport and pleasure group, I would say now I fall into the pleasure exercise group, and a bit of sport (bicycle orienteering) is a by product.

Road cycling by definition takes place on the public highway, but there are lots of alternatives.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The word on my club Facebook page is when Michael Gove was asked about cycling distances he replied:

"Whatever is normal for the individual"

I don't have a link but will post it when a fellow club member sends it to me.

rivers

How far can I go?
I'll continue to ride outside as long as I'm able. However, it will be done alone and on routes I know well. I will stick to shorter rides (30ish miles), a few times/week. Once restrictions are lifted, then I will think about longer rides with friends. But until then, I won't. And let's face it, long rides with friends and cafe stops are way more enjoyable than without either.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
Yes my thinking is a couple of hours will enable me to get out early and back before many others are up and about. Might allow lightly longer to get to 50km I am not the quickest rider.

gavgav

Guru
I’ve ummed and ahhhed all day, whilst working from home, as to whether to go out on my bike after work, tonight. I’ve decided not to, even though it’s a beautiful evening, as it just doesn’t feel right, somehow. I wouldn’t enjoy it, I’d probably do a really short route and just want to get home quick, which is not what cycling is about for me and so I’ve decided not to. Mow the lawn instead is my evening plan now.

Crankarm

Guru
Why? I'm 65 and far from being an old fossil. I have a newspaper delivered Saturday and Sunday, during the week I read online. I've many friends who have a paper seven days a week. Reading and holding a paper is an enjoyable experience for some. As I and most of my friends are fortunate to be retired we have the time to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

Your post is inaccurate, rude and ignorant.

You've just proved my point. You are retired so in high risk vulnerable group which the PM has said should self isolate for 12 weeks, no exceptions. I think riding or driving to a newsagents to get a paper would be in breach of your isolation. The self isolation was put in place by the government for your own safety and well being. If you have other ideas about compliance then that's down to you but my post was neither inaccurate, rude or ignorant.

In any case people who buy newspapers is painfully low now so much so that many run them as loss leaders as most people get their news from their on-line sites or social media. I doubt whether many younger people buy a newspaper. It really is only the older generation.

OP
OP
lane

lane

Veteran
[
You've just proved my point. You are retired so in high risk vulnerable group which the PM has said should self isolate for 12 weeks, no exceptions. I think riding or driving to a newsagents to get a paper would be in breach of your isolation. The self isolation was put in place by the government for your own safety and well being. If you have other ideas about compliance then that's down to you but my post was neither inaccurate, rude or ignorant.

In any case people who buy newspapers is painfully low now so much so that many run them as loss leaders as most people get their news from their on-line sites or social media. I doubt whether many younger people buy a newspaper. It really is only the older generation.

To possibly bring the thread back to the topic of the Cycling UK advice, which was helpfully revised yesterday per my post, the advice to @PaulSB , being apparently 65, is not different to that of any other age group under 70. He is not required to self isolate for 12 weeks. He is fine to cycle following the new guidelines going solo and keeping a distance from others.

I think you are right though, sales of newspapers are now very low.

Venod

Eh up
but my post was neither inaccurate, rude or ignorant.

Your post was accurate about the paper buying aspect, but don't you think calling people old fossils could be construed as rude and ignorant by some people, and you seem to have got your facts wrong in your latest post, isn't it over 70's who have been told to self isolate for 12 week.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Your post was accurate about re the paper buying aspect, but don't you think calling people old fossils could be construed as rude and ignorant by some people, and you seem to have got your facts wrong in your latest post, isn't it over 70's who have been told to self isolate for 12 week.
Exactly, and Paul regularly churns out decent miles at great average speeds. Probably puts many younger riders on here to shame.

Top Bottom