Cyclist brings first private prosecution for dangerous driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's disappointing. I was at the Cycle Forum last night and three GMP members specifically from the Traffic division were present to discuss Operation Considerate. They all seemed genuinely concerned for road safety; probably as they are the ones who get involved in cases where people have died and have to deal with grieving family members. I wonder if this is a case of the average police officer not caring much whereas the traffic-specific ones might? I know there are not many specific traffic officers given the size of GM, which probably doesn't help. I know you have the solicitors on the case so no point inquiring personally but if that need ever did arise I'll see if I can fish out the names of the officers who attended for you so you can inquire via them.

The officer that attended was 11249 Doughty and attended hospital. Nothing was done for over 6 weeks as they recorded me as minor injuries and home same day (not severe injuries and over 6 weeks in hospital).

The officer who picked up the case was Officer Pennington, and his attitude was shocking, and according to my solicitors they broke just about every rule they have ! I have no time for GMP - Operation Considerate, my bottom, Operation Cyclists are gutter trash more like.

We have one station now in Cheadle which covers the whole of South Manchester, and they literally have a couple of traffic cars. They don't have the officers on the ground so can' be bothered. You see it time and time again on here - motorists are free to run cyclists down.

machew

Veteran
Porter is paying someone else to prosecute it.

Probably wise, there is an old saying among lawyers 'a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client', meaning as a lawyer you are too close to case in which you are personally involved to do a good job of it.

Also, Porter's expertise may not be in criminal law and he may not have prosecuted many or any dangerous driving cases.

Far better to get someone experienced in those cases to do it.
His field is the personal injury. And he holds a British Cycling Category 3 racing licence.

The driver thinks there's nothing wrong with it. The jurors will think there's nothing wrong with it cos I doubt they're regular cyclists.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:cry:

:cursing: :cursing:

Top Bottom