Cyclist Down - A560 Junction Bredbury Stockport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What a morning I hope to never have again :sad:

Bike was punctured this morning, so I was running late (which ended up being good fortune).

Waiting to pull onto A560 in Woodley, was passed by two roadies. Pulled on to follow. Lights green, passed one, through next lights, closing on first cyclist just 100 yards behind him. Cyclist passes through junction in the outside lane, car inside lane.

Next thing car swings right and takes the cyclist down right in front of me. There is no right turn, and there are chevrons. Cyclist literally stops dead and crashes down head first.

Jump off bike check he's OK, told him not to move, driver is useless - does nothing. Second cyclist stops and stays with the guy on the floor.

I take over, phone ambulance. Police car passing so he's now with cyclist too. Ambulance on scene fast.

Driver still saying nothing.

Police move bike, cyclist still 'told' to stay down until ambulance guys check him over. Looks OK - few cuts, wrecked top and helmet - just one of those accidents where a helmet did it's job - saved his head. Still had a couple of cuts to his face.

A chap comes over and starts asking questions - I say. "Excuse me, but who are you" - chap explains he's a friend of the guy on the road and was in the traffic as we had passed, then saw him on the ground.

I then took photos of the scene (asked cyclist if it was OK) - took car reg etc etc. - text book !!!

I happen to know the cyclist - we regularly chat at junctions, and it's usually in the same area but on the way home !

I offer too wheel the bike home, but the pub owner comes out and asks if he can take the bike in for us - I happen to know the owner's daughter (she is in the same class as my son).

This is the scene attached - bike on the floor is mine - the guys Spesh had been moved to the bollards.

IMAG0168.JPG
Sorry for the rambling, as nearly got taken out myself near work, driver swerved into the cycle lane and nearly knocked me off - I shouted, he then stuck his fingers out of the window - bad move, as the rage took over - I sprinted after him - must have been doing 30 (no mean task on 77" fixed) as I was screaming at him through his open side window - driver just said 'oh big man' - I had to stop as I could have easily kept the pace to the next lights then dragged him out of the car and killed him - sense took over at this point.

Bloody shaking now - next cup of sugary tea.

Just writing this down before I type it up properly for the cops

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Oh and even having 4 AY-UPs don't save you - fecking drivers !

Oh and not one driver stopped - typical !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow. nasty thing to see. Very scary. Get that tea inside you Fossy. Hope the cyclist is ok. Reminds me of my altercation with a police van 4 weeks ago.

BSRU

A Human Being
Sounds horrendous, actually seeing such bad driving right in front of you.
Hopefully the cyclist is OK and the driver gets convicted of something.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I've texted the guy and will get his bike too him if he needs it - although I suspect his mate will sort that as he took all the contact details too.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Clicking like seems wrong on this, so well done you, and I hope the chap makes a good recovery soon. What an idiot motorist.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

very decent of you to take the time to help the fellow cyclist.

I think we all would stop though !

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Well Done Fossy ! :bravo:

You really seem to have done everything right (as much as I know what needs to be done :blush:).

Very interesting how the car driver was saying nothing .... to you ... hope he was more forthcoming to the Police. :ninja:

Try to get it out of your mind during the day [aye, right :sad:] - and take it really easy on the way home :thumbsup: - "Safe Home" mantra !

Speedy recovery to the injured cyclist :hugs:

Schneil

Veteran
Hi Fossy
Well done for being a good Samaritan. I think the cyclist and the emergency services will really appreciate all you did.
When I was in a car accident, I went into shock, so didn't say a word to anyone. Maybe this is what happenedto the driver?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You did all the right things - well done.

I'm not surprised the driver said nothing; either shock and/or guilt. Looks like the driver decided to do a U-turn without checking.

Hope he recovers soon.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fossy competently handled and sounds like you covered all the bases, hopefully the cyclist ins't too badly injured...the bike can be repaired/replaced.

I am curious looking at the picture you took as to why the cyclist would have been in lane 2 there?

400bhp

Guru
Looks like driver was going to do an illegal U-turn?

My guess - unlicensed taxi.

Looke like you handled the situation very well. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with shouting at some numpty through their window too.

Top Bottom