Cyclist knocked off his bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You'd make terrible witness.

I am confused as to how you had a clear and long view of the cyclist entering the roundabout but did not see him knocked off as he did so? Perhaps you can describe the roundabout in terms of number of exits, which one relative to you the man on the bike entered, which one relative to you the man in car entered, and where relative to those the collision took place. You must also remember that people on bikes have far less momentum then people in cars and can brake much later in their approach and have a far clearer view of the roundabout than you. So all may not be as it seems.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You'd make terrible witness.

I am confused as to how you had a clear and long view of the cyclist entering the roundabout but did not see him knocked off as he did so? Perhaps you can describe the roundabout in terms of number of exits, which one relative to you the man on the bike entered, which one relative to you the man in car entered, and where relative to those the collision took place. You must also remember that people on bikes have far less momentum then people in cars and can brake much later in their approach and have a far clearer view of the roundabout than you. So all may not be as it seems.
I guarantee I can outbrake any bicycle in my car. Cycle brakes are pretty weedy and the tyres have little grip.

Slick

Guru
Shame the OP goes straight to blame the cyclist, unless of course it was just a simple case of the cyclist pulling straight out in front of the car without looking. I negotiate a few larger roundabouts and some cars are doing more than 30mph and won't slow down for anything.

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
Try to clarify a bit better, Medium sized roundabout with 4 exits. I was entering and turning right, cyclist was entering from same road but opposite direction. That is why I noticed the speed he was doing, we both entered roundabout at the same time. The car that hit him was entering on my right and due to a wall on his right and the speed of cyclist he could not see him until last minute. I was half way round my turn when it happened and looking for traffic coming on the same direction as cyclist and only saw cyclist on ground while exiting roundabout. I would estimate cyclist doing well over 20 mph when this happened,

Try to clarify a bit better, Medium sized roundabout with 4 exits. I was entering and turning right, cyclist was entering from same road but opposite direction. That is why I noticed the speed he was doing, we both entered roundabout at the same time. The car that hit him was entering on my right and due to a wall on his right and the speed of cyclist he could not see him until last minute. I was half way round my turn when it happened and looking for traffic coming on the same direction as cyclist and only saw cyclist on ground while exiting roundabout. I would estimate cyclist doing well over 20 mph when this happened,

It's a bit like Cluedo.....

From what I can fathom out, YOU knocked him off with a CANDLESTICK in the LIBRARY !! ^_^:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So car at fault then.
Car should have proceeded as if 42 ton artic was about to arrive.
Too much blind corner gambling these days.
Sounds open & shut case now it is described this way. The driver of the vehicle that hit the cyclist entered the roundabout too fast to be able to establish if it was safe to do so. Sometimes you have to stop and take a good look around, that's just the way it is.

Nebulous

Guru
Try clock times. You were entering at 6, going off at 3. Bike was entering at 12. Car entered at 3 (your right) and hit cyclist. Is that right?

If so car was almost certainly in the wrong. You can't hit a vehicle approaching from your right as you enter the roundabout.

Reactions: C R

Brandane

Legendary Member
Car should have proceeded as if 42 ton artic was about to arrive.
So just fly onto the roundabout at warp speed then, and expect everything to suddenly disappear out of their way? As an ex driver of said artics, I can assure you that most car drivers make no allowance for the fact that you are pulling a slow, long vehicle onto a roundabout. The really annoying feckers are the right turning drivers who are either too lazy too indicate, or don't know the correct sequence of indications so just don't bother. Then they have the gall to blast their horn at you because they have come three quarters way round a roundabout in the blink of an eye with no indication, and YOU are in THEIR way :cursing:. Sorry but feck all drivers who don't indicate - to me that means you're going straight ahead and I WILL pull 40 tonnes of artic into your path.... Sadly there is no way of pulling into the path of the motons who approach from the right, so you wait for them, then they turn left without indicating. Never mind, another large puff of diesel particulates into the atmosphere as I get the lorry moving again instead of keeping moving as I could have done....

As for the OP; yes, no, maybe, it depends.... :huh:

Top Bottom