Cyclist knocked off his bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And you know this how?? We all start somewhere, so how do you know that guy driving the flashy Stobart artic didn't pass his HGV test yesterday?
They already hold another license before hand. They also have also completed a 4 part test, and have a higher standard of medical requirement.

So yes, even a newly qualified HGV driver to have a better road craft than the typical car driver.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a simple question, where is your line? How much time saved is worth the risk of life to other road users?
If you looked at the context of that post, it was traffic on roundabouts. They wouldn't be moving at a speed where they couldn't slow down and stop if necessary. I'm hardly putting lives at risk :rolleyes:. Fine you know it, but doing a bit of wilful misunderstanding here, I think. If I see a car coming onto a roundabout from the other side of a roundabout and it's not indicating, I will assume the car is going straight ahead. I WILL then pull onto said roundabout, and if the car driver then decides to turn right, into the side of my trailer, then on their own head be it. The law would be on my side, and if not I would fight it in any court in the land with confidence.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Try to clarify a bit better, Medium sized roundabout with 4 exits. I was entering and turning right, cyclist was entering from same road but opposite direction. That is why I noticed the speed he was doing, we both entered roundabout at the same time. The car that hit him was entering on my right and due to a wall on his right and the speed of cyclist he could not see him until last minute. I was half way round my turn when it happened and looking for traffic coming on the same direction as cyclist and only saw cyclist on ground while exiting roundabout. I would estimate cyclist doing well over 20 mph when this happened,

Or in other words, the motorist pulled out onto the roundabout into the path of the cyclist that was already on it. There is a simple rule about roundabouts: give way to the right. That the motorist may not have been able to see the cyclist "until the last minute" is not an excuse, rather it indicates that said motorist was going too fast. Note: not the cyclist, as you claim.

The cyclist's speed has no bearing on this (and in any case is likely less than the majority of motorised traffic). That you seek to blame the cyclist for entering the roundabout "too fast" when in fact the accident was caused by the motorist doing so is as odious a bit victim blaming as I've seen on this site.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't think the OP was very clear in his original post. It gave me the impression that the cyclist pulled into the path of a car already on the roundabout. It now appears it was the other way round.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is a thing called "Near miss of the day" that keeps popping up on my google page. Near misses with cars and bikes. A couple of things pop into my head on nearly all of them. If the cyclist was reading the road ahead more than 2 feet in front of his front wheel. He would see what was about to happen and react accordingly. Usually by scrubbing off a bit of speed for a couple of seconds. I know it may be our right of way but on these clips the riders seem to think it is their right of way, regardless of the consequences. They are interesting clips to watch because it puts you in the position of the cyclist and you can decide what you would do.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is a thing called "Near miss of the day" that keeps popping up on my google page. Near misses with cars and bikes. A couple of things pop into my head on nearly all of them. If the cyclist was reading the road ahead more than 2 feet in front of his front wheel. He would see what was about to happen and react accordingly. Usually by scrubbing off a bit of speed for a couple of seconds. I know it may be our right of way but on these clips the riders seem to think it is their right of way, regardless of the consequences. They are interesting clips to watch because it puts you in the position of the cyclist and you can decide what you would do.
Although I agree with you in principle the problem is what will then happen is the drivers will start to rely on the cyclist doing the avoiding action & cn pull out in front of any of them with impunity

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Although I agree with you in principle the problem is what will then happen is the drivers will start to rely on the cyclist doing the avoiding action & cn pull out in front of any of them with impunity
They do that anyway and its not going to change anytime soon.

Is the solution to plough on into them regardless or to use a bit of common sense and try to avoid them. The problem does not only apply to cyclists.

But some people do have the Its my right of way and I am taking it.

In the clips they show there is no doubt that the motorists are at fault most of the time. But the guys on the bikes dont help themselves. Maybe its because Im 60 now and have had my share of offs, that I can now see the error of my ways.

tom73

Guru
When learning to drive it was drummed into me re roundabouts and car signals never trust them look and see where the tyres are pointing. Surprising how many cars don’t look to have indicators fitted. Unless used as the “magic” hazard lights just pull over here and no one will do me for it.

One day our youngest lad was out on the motorbike. A lady in a Mercedes in a junction on the left looked straight at him and pulled out requiring an emergency stop.
When he made a polite enquiry as to why she did so, she said "You're only on a motorbike".
He of course then told her what he thought of her.
It's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP.

OP
OP
gasinayr

gasinayr

Über Member
In LBS today, know the boy that owns it. Spotted a bike in for repair, new rear wheel required, asked what happened to it as it was in a state. Man that brought it in got knocked off on a roundabout last week and we have ordered a new wheel as we have none in stock. I saw that accident, described what happened and owner says, that makes sense. He said he asked the owner if he got the details of the driver for them to pay for repair and he said I told the driver it was ok as I was going a bit to fast entering roundabout and he was as much to blame as driver

classic33

Leg End Member
And the vehicle all ready on the roundabout/approaching from the right has priority, legally.

If you were already on the roundabout, would you expect to slow for a following vehicle?

Top Bottom