Cyclist knocked off his bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Correct !
How was it the cyclist’s fault?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
OP clearly thinks it's the cyclist fault...

... The driver never had a chance as I said cyclist going to fast entering roundabout,

If the cyclist has nothing on their right to give way to when entering, then they can enter at speed. The driver had every chance to give way to anything on their right, unless of course the driver was going too fast... or only checked for a big blocky motor vehicle and not a bloke on a bike.

D

Deleted member 26715

If the cyclist has nothing on their right to give way to when entering, then they can enter at speed. The driver had every chance to give way to anything on their right, unless of course the driver was going too fast... or only checked for a big blocky motor vehicle and not a bloke on a bike.
I'll admit I once missed a cyclist as the door pillar was in the way as I looked, he had to do a very slight change of direction & give me an angry glare. but I was able to stop & it was TOTALLY my fault.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I thought waiting for a vehicle to change direction instead of relying purely on indicators was a fairly basic part of driving?

Or does that get ignored when you’re a professional driver?
Have you ever tried putting that theory into practice on a busy roundabout? You would sit there all day!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can't expect anyone to indicate these days because driving standards are so low. Ok, if you're driving an HGV you're not personally at risk but that's no reason to assume.

Mind you, rhe standard of HGV driving has gone downhill too - they used to be the best drivers on the road, now they baulk other traffic by pulling out on motorways regardless of what's in the middle lane, take 5 miles to overtake other lorries if their speed limiter is set 0.25mph faster, and delight in intimidating cars by driving 3 feet from their rear bumper in 50mph sections.

Have you ever tried putting that theory into practice on a busy roundabout? You would sit there all day!
Yes. I do.

I don’t seem to struggle either.

winjim

Smash the cistern
From HC rule 185

• watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all

Brandane

Legendary Member
From HC rule 185

• watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all
Yes, so please note the first part of that rule re watching out for all other road users already on the roundabout. Presumably that includes watching out for slow moving artics which don't have the same acceleration as a car, so when they move out onto the roundabout, right turning cars coming from the opposite direction might not even be on the roundabout, but can still manage to get onto it, and come round to where the artic is before it's back end has even got onto the roundabout. So no need to get all uppity and blast your horn (to those whom it may apply)!

Brandane

Legendary Member
when you’re a professional driver?
What are these special powers that "professional" drivers have, which others don't? All drivers are supposed to have passed the DSA driving test, which supposedly means we can all drive to a certain standard. That includes how and when to indicate at roundabouts. We may have covered this before, but is a sales rep covering 50k miles per year a professional driver? Or is it a lorry driver working for an agency who comes out once in a while (i.e. ME!) but might have only passed his test last week?

My point being that ALL drivers on public roads should be able to drive properly and safely; professional or not. What's with the differentiation? I just don't get why people seem ready to accept some lower standard of driving from these "non-professional" drivers.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yes. I do.

I don’t seem to struggle either.
I don't think you've tried it while driving a heavily laden, therefore slow to accelerate, long vehicle such as an articulated lorry. Wait for a busy roundabout to be totally clear, as you are suggesting, and you will sit there all day. Do that during your DSA driving test, and you will fail. Seriously.

What are these special powers that "professional" drivers have, which others don't? All drivers are supposed to have passed the DSA driving test, which supposedly means we can all drive to a certain standard. That includes how and when to indicate at roundabouts. We may have covered this before, but is a sales rep covering 50k miles per year a professional driver? Or is it a lorry driver working for an agency who comes out once in a while (i.e. ME!) but might have only passed his test last week?

My point being that ALL drivers on public roads should be able to drive properly and safely; professional or not. What's with the differentiation? I just don't get why people seem ready to accept some lower standard of driving from these "non-professional" drivers.

All pilots have passed the same basic proficiency exams. But I’m sure you’d have no issues holding an airline pilot to a higher standard in both actions and attitude when compared against somebody with only a PPL?

I expect a higher standard of driving due to the huge amount of experience that the drivers have.

I also expect a better attitude and a higher standard of driving from somebody behind the wheel of a HGV.

I don't think you've tried it while driving a heavily laden, therefore slow to accelerate, long vehicle such as an articulated lorry. Wait for a busy roundabout to be totally clear, as you are suggesting, and you will sit there all day. Do that during your DSA driving test, and you will fail. Seriously.

No. I’ve not tried it in a long heavy vehicle. As I don’t drive them. However there are times in my car I don’t pull out in gaps or overtake as I don’t have the power to do so safely. Where I would in my partners Cooper S, this is surely adjusting to what you drive.

If pulling out intentionally in front of cars when you’re not sure it’s clear is what is the expected standard of the DSA it’s no wonder so many people are killed by these vehicles.

Are suggesting that you knowingly pull in front of another road user, knowing you don’t have space, simply because your vehicle is unfit for the roads you are using?

I have a simple question, where is your line? How much time saved is worth the risk of life to other road users? When does it become “worth it”?

Last edited:
Top Bottom