Cyclist spotted holding up traffic - while ignoring new £1.2m cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well that's what the Cambridge Evening New says.

Yes, it's the usual anal mutterings from the hard of understanding.

But I was interested by their statement:

Although cyclists don't have to use cycle paths, the Highway Code says: "If cycle routes are available cyclists should make use of them, as they can make their journeys safer."

That's not right I thought, and sure enough, there appears to be no such statement in the HC as published on www.gov.uk.

But a little bit of searching reveals www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk which contains:

Section 61
Section 61 covers cycle routes and other facilities for cyclists. If cycle routes are available cyclists should make use of them, as they can make their journeys safer. Cyclists should also use advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings, unless it is unsafe to do so.

No idea who, or what, DRIVINGED (owner of www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk) is, but is certainly isn't The Highway Code ... is it?

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Sorry, I'm not keeping up. Who mentioned 'drivinged'?

Maenchi

StoneDog
"I think some of the money could be spent on the people who are paying for it."

couldn't help but notice this line in the article though !!................yawn

alicat

Legendary Member
The quote in the Cambridge Evening News contains the gist if not the exact wording of Highway Code Rule 61. Lazy reporting to imply it is a direct quote but I wouldn't personally get hung up on it.

Incidentally, my search of the non-government website to which you referred http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-cyclists.html reveals:

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

This seems identical to the Highway Code Rule 61 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82:

Rule 61
Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The Cambridge News article comments section wouldn't load, but I'll bet there'll be some vinegar soaked comment from someone called Notadon on there moaning away.

OP
OP
Alien8

Alien8

Senior Moment
The quote in the Cambridge Evening News contains the gist if not the exact wording of Highway Code Rule 61. Lazy reporting to imply it is a direct quote but I wouldn't personally get hung up on it.

Incidentally, my search of the non-government website to which you referred http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-cyclists.html reveals:

This seems identical to the Highway Code Rule 61 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82:

Rule 61

It's under Changes-And-Answers that:

Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

becomes:

If cycle routes are available cyclists should make use of them, as they can make their journeys safer.

as quoted by the CEN.

Of course, should isn't must, but the intent and implication is clear.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Cambridge Evening News is a cyclist hating rag. What it fails to tell you is that the cycle path in Hauxton (which is the bit in the video) hasn’t actually been finished completely yet - and isn’t officially open.
Ah, copying the tricks used in London when the Parliament Square track ran into a dead end with badly-timed temporary traffic lights to merge onto the road and continue towards St James's Park: cue photos of people cycling on the road and ignoring the half finished track, taken with their back to the unfinished bit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5213355, member: 45"]An amendment to the HC a few years ago contained "must use". A bit of badgering from us cyclists and they dropped it.

Got to keep your eyes peeled people.[/QUOTE]
Proposed amendment. Several of the cycling rules in the HC are long overdue fixes, because they're based on motoring bigotry rather than evidence.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I read somewhere that mile for mile, riding on cycling specific infrastructure was statistically no safer than riding on the road.
That would come as no surprise. A recently completed 3/4 mile stretch of 'shared' footpath along the Causeway now means no fewer than 14 side road crossings to travel that short stretch, and they wonder why people don't use it...

classic33

Leg End Member
DRIVINGED seems to be the owner of www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk

DRIVINGED, Company code: 302653177
ded.jpg

Top Bottom