Cyclists and horse riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Just had a bad experience with a horse rider, I live in a area where lots of horse riding goes on and very aware that horses don’t seem to like cyclists I even get a bit uneasy when approaching a horse or get stuck behind them.. i just wait normally.
I had just got on my bike and got about 20 seconds down the road when I met a horse on a bend coming towards me, as soon as I saw the horse rider in view I stopped my bike which by then was to late by then the horse had got spooked and went into a gallop throwing it’s head around with the rider screaming. The horse then went over the road out of control into a 60mile main road which cars managed to stop before she slowly gained control.. I felt there was nothing I could have done I was just riding my bike…. I have be cursed before by horse riders for riding a bike saying we should not be cycling on the road around here because of the horses and but anyone can use the road… it a 30mile two lane road

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Sounds like you did nothing wrong and nothing you could have done any differently.

Alex321

Veteran
There isn't much else you could have done.

If a horse is going to be that easily spooked, it really shouldn't be ridden on the road, a cyclist is not likely to spook it much more than a car would.

We also have a fair amount of horse riding round here, and I quite often meet or pass horses on my rides, but I've never had an experience like yours - nor any rider suggesting I shouldn't be on the road.

I do, of course, always slow right down and give them plenty of space, and make sure the riders are aware of my presence without being aggressive - usually stopping if they are moving the opposite direction to me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just stopped for a horse and rider this morning while out riding on bridleways. As I rounded a bend and spotted them it could arguably have been either parties responsibility to give way but I decided it's always easier for me to pull over rather than persuading a horse to shuffle over to the side and wait patiently (although nothing about the encounter made me think that couldn't have been done if necessary). I had a little chat with the rider about the improved weather and what a pleasant day it was to be out as we passed and we went on our ways suitably cheered by the interaction.

Horses that cannot be controlled probably shouldn't be out in public where they may need to be under control! Probably just unfortunate that you encountered a badly trained rider, or horse, or maybe both, and the consequences were inevitable. Just lucky there wasn't a worse outcome.

Sharky

Guru
I stopped my bike
If you were able to stop before reaching the horses, you must have been riding with due care etc. I usually ride with a front flashing light. These are known to spook horses and I always try and cover up until I have passed them.

Did have one occasion which caused my heart to miss a beat. Was descending a 1:6 hill, so was gathering speed. Rounded a bend and there were two horses coming up the hill, riding side by side, taking up the whole width of the road. Braked immediately, locking the rear wheel several times, but knew I didn't have enough space to stop completely. Fortunately, the riders must have been experienced riders and they reacted at the same time, tucking back into single file. The horses were well behaved as well. So safely passed them. But could have been a completely different story if the horses spooked.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
First rule encountering horses on the road - always call hello, so the horse can hear you and is reassured that you're a friendly human and not something about to attack them. Remember that horses are naturally creatures of flight.

And slow down or stop, of course.

I met two horses at the worst possible point of a tricky fast slippy bendy road descent yesterday.

We all came to a halt safely though and had a little chat - they apologized for slowing me before the next uphill.

Most riders are very pleasant - always good to alert them to your presence in advance and give the horses a wide berth.

They are very odd animals. I had to hide behind a tree once as he was scared of my jersey. 😀

PK99

Legendary Member
Just stopped for a horse and rider this morning while out riding on bridleways. As I rounded a bend and spotted them it could arguably have been either parties responsibility to give way but I decided it's always easier for me to pull over rather than persuading a horse to shuffle over to the side and wait patiently (although nothing about the encounter made me think that couldn't have been done if necessary).

Not correct: the clue is in the name BRIDLEway:

(1)Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, not being a motor vehicle, on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpg...r of the,pedestrians and persons on horseback.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
met two horses at the worst possible point of a tricky fast slippy bendy road descent yesterday.

We all came to a halt safely though and had a little chat - they apologized for slowing me before the next uphill.

I am amazed you speak horse 🐴

icowden

Veteran
Horses that cannot be controlled probably shouldn't be out in public where they may need to be under control! Probably just unfortunate that you encountered a badly trained rider, or horse, or maybe both, and the consequences were inevitable. Just lucky there wasn't a worse outcome.
This - my sister is a Veterinary Nurse and an accomplished horse rider. She takes a very dim view of people who cannot control the horse.
This line:-
the horse had got spooked and went into a gallop throwing it’s head around with the rider screaming
suggests an inexperienced and incompetent rider who shouldn't have been riding a jittery horse.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not correct: the clue is in the name BRIDLEway:

(1)Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, not being a motor vehicle, on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/41/crossheading/public-rights-of-way/enacted#:~:text=(1)Any member of the,pedestrians and persons on horseback.

Ok Mr B Pedantic, I said bridleway but actually it is more of a country lane. Certainly one that I used to legally drive a few years ago and is called something road or something lane but has since been barriered off because of damage caused by irresponsible 4x4s playing and cars being dumped etc. I haven't checked the council's list of streets recently but I'm pretty sure it hasn't actually been officially downgraded to a bridleway despite the installation of potentially illegal barriers?
Anyway, rules are fine as far as they go but I prefer to apply commonsense, respect and practicality which often contradicts the rules or 'rights of way'. For instance, it is often better to pause and allow an oncoming vehicle to turn in front of you rather than exert your right to keep going, if this means that the traffic waiting behind the turning vehicle can then keep moving and prevent the junction from becoming gridlocked. It's just give and take, we can all get along nicely without having to resort to crying about 'the rules'.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This - my sister is a Veterinary Nurse and an accomplished horse rider. She takes a very dim view of people who cannot control the horse.
This line:-

suggests an inexperienced and incompetent rider who shouldn't have been riding a jittery horse.

I am in general agreement, but I would add a caveat that even the most mild-mannered, docile horse can react unpredictably. I have been riding horses almost as long as I have been riding bicycles and have doubtless ridden far more horses than bicycles; I've ridden everything from bomb-proof hacks to competition-fit international eventers and I wouldn't assume anything about the behaviour of any horse.

They have had aeons of experience of being hunted for food and this instinct remains strong - any sudden appearance of an unknown threat can induce a fight/flight response. This is made worse for a horse on its own, who is used to safety in numbers but when isolated will be on heightened alert. Changes in diet, mood, weather, musculoskeletal, dental or other health disorders etc can impact a horse's behaviour, as can the mood and mental state of the rider; horses pick up on body language as a form of defence - it's how herds work - so if the rider is on edge about something the horse will be too.

That's not to say that there aren't some horses who shouldn't be on the road - some are just neurotic or prone to misbehaving and, as stated, shouldn't be on the road if this is typical behaviour. I believe I have a better-than-average ability to read a horse's body language and react accordingly, but even experienced riders get caught out sometimes.

Anyway, rules are fine as far as they go but I prefer to apply commonsense, respect and practicality which often contradicts the rules or 'rights of way'. For instance, it is often better to pause and allow an oncoming vehicle to turn in front of you rather than exert your right to keep going, if this means that the traffic waiting behind the turning vehicle can then keep moving and prevent the junction from becoming gridlocked. It's just give and take, we can all get along nicely without having to resort to crying about 'the rules'.

@PK99 is correct; the rules make it clear that you should have rapidly dismounted and doffed your cap. Ideally on 1 knee.

If there was any hint of moisture or uneven surface, I hope you would throw your cape on the ground to protect their hooves.

"commonsense"?? Pah!

Top Bottom