Cyclists gets a finger wag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't understand why people cycle without lights at night - you can pick up those little flashing single LED ones for a couple of quid at the pound-shop; doesn't seem worth the risk does it.
(back to page 1)

Chiswick is quite well lit. The difference between the visibility of a rider with a single, cheap flashing LED light and one with no lights would be negligible but the poundshop light would partially protect you from the following dangers:
  1. Finger wagging cops.
  2. Insurers who take advantage of you having no lights to reject your claim against a distracted driver knocking you down.
  3. Finger wagging internet denizens who go online to chide you.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No it doesn't. It decreases the likelihood that, having been shot, the bullet will cause you a severe injury. A bulletproof vest doesn't make bullets magically veer around you.
What i meant when i said shot,was penetrated by a bullet in the head, arm,leg,not just hit in the vest. A bullet proof vest gives you less chance of being killed or wounded than if you didn't wear one,

What i meant when i said shot,was penetrated by a bullet in the head, arm,leg,not just hit in the vest. A bullet proof vest gives you less chance of being killed or wounded than if you didn't wear one,
storykel3_.jpg

Slick

Guru
Wasn't that screw meant to do up so tight that it pierced the paint and bit into the steel, providing the earth return connection for a headlight as well as resisting the spring?
I do remember that bracket, but I also remember an O'brien road bike that had an integral bolt and socket in the front fork to take the blade bracket. Cutting edge stuff.

Reactions: mjr

Big Andy

Über Member
Because a bullet proof vest gives you less chance of being killed or wounded if you get shot, but hi-vis doesn't change the chance of being killed or wounded if you get knocked off?
I don't recall anyone claiming the hi-viz would change the chance of being killed or wounded if you get knocked off. It may reduce the chance of you getting knocked off though. A very difficult thing to quantify I will readily acknowledge as I very much doubt there are any statistics for accidents that didn't happen. I am happy to take it as an item of faith that increasing my visibility to motorists can only be a good thing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am happy to take as an item of faith that wearing a St Christopher can only be a good thing.

Happy. But wrong.
But are you going to start a religious war to convert the heathens who say that it's wrong?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I read his post and it was clear that he didn't mean what he actually said and fairly obvious (certainly to me and I suspect many others) that he meant that a bullet proof vest would increase the chances of surviving a gunshot.
Why do you suspect many others? and of what? and how are your suspicions relevant?

Or did you mean " certainly to me and, I suspect, many others" which, of course, means something quite different.

Meaning. Tricky, isn't it.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I read his post and it was clear that he didn't mean what he actually said and fairly obvious (certainly to me and I suspect many others) that he meant that a bullet proof vest would increase the chances of surviving a gunshot. Which he did confirm later. I just chose not to pull him up on it.

It doesn't really matter what you type or how you try to put it across, there will always be the asshats on this forum who will deliberately twist it to suit their own purposes or create an argument.
To say we all "allegedly" share the same interest in the sport / passtime / hobby of cycling I have never come across such an argumentative bloody minded bunch in my life!!

Top Bottom