Cyclists gets a finger wag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
This thread has been interesting at points along the way, but in the last few pages has become somewhat personal. Please be civil to each other or we'll intervene with exclusions and locks. Thanks, Shaun. ^_^

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We should run a sweep; by which post # will this thread get locked?

I'm going 245...started OK but it's circling the plughole now

This thread has been interesting at points along the way, but in the last few pages has become somewhat personal. Please be civil to each other or we'll intervene with exclusions and locks. Thanks, Shaun. ^_^

Dammit....a warning's no good to me at #245 :angry:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm still good!! I should just launch a torrent of abuse at various people in my next post and the job's a good 'un
Nobber

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Before it does get locked I personally believe this forum is an excellent resource for both new and veteran cyclists alike but the likes of reg and his little clique spoils it for myself and I imagine a lot of others. There is absolutely no need for nastiness and the smart arse answers they come up with, trying to make themselves look clever at the expense of others just goes to show how small minded they are.
I have made good use of the ignore button this last couple of days.
Probably on ignore but...

a) Reg doesn't have a little clique.
b) Meaning is important. Clarity of usage is critical. We only have the written word to go by and should not have to waste energy decoding people's posts. E.g Helping your uncle jack off a horse is an entirely different thing to helping your uncle Jack off a horse, and folk claiming "but that's not what I meant" when it is what they wrote is just dull. All we have are the words. Helpful if the right ones are used, in the right order, with a spot of punctuation, et cetera.
c) calling other people small minded is a teeny bit... small minded. Some of your side's posts on this thread are a bit nasty, dismissive, and come across slightly angry. Is that better than coming across as a smart arse?

If folk want to dress like Space Lemons; they can fill their boots. If they want to be lit up like Christmas Trees; go ahead. But please don't propose anecdata about safety, "common sense", or any other "but it's obvious" drivel on the issue of Hi Viz making a cyclist or horse rider, safer.

Science. Data. Facts. Invisible Gorillas. Please.

All else is just opinion and a vain waste of air.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You are right grumpy gregory , you are on ignore, but I thought I would have a look at what you had to say to see if it was anything intelligent or interesting..........................................you certainly live up to your user name...............oh, and you're back on ignore!!
That's a pov. CycleChat isn't an echo chamber. Opposing points of view are allowed.

Your post doesn't advance any worthwhile counter-argument to 'if they are looking they will see you, no matter what you wear, and if they aren't looking they won't see you, no matter what you wear, so it doesn't matter what you wear."

And my main objection to the "what you wear matters, it's obvious" argument is two fold.

Hardly anyone, apart from Brit expats, in countless cities and towns in mainland Europe where cycling is the norm, that is, a normal everyday activity, undertaken by the masses, by normal people in normal clothes, rather than an activity undertaken by weird people in weird clothes, wears hi-viz.

Hi Viz cyclists, wearing weird clothes, portray cycling as a weird activity, for weird people, which requires special safety equipment to take part in. It screams "cycling is dangerous". It isn't.

You may find this uninteresting and unintelligent. Others may not.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hardly anyone, apart from Brit expats, in countless cities and towns in mainland Europe where cycling is the norm, that is, a normal everyday activity, undertaken by the masses, by normal people in normal clothes, ...

You're telling me; just look at the riders in Utrecht. They must getting slaughtered by the dozen... right?

image.jpeg

Top Bottom