Cyclists gets a finger wag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You're telling me; just look at the riders in Utrecht. They must getting slaughtered by the dozen... right?

View attachment 334046

To be fair, they are on largely segregated cycle paths, in a country with strong presumed liability, with drivers that are used to cyclists by the thousand. We get Dodgy Dave in a tipper truck trying to make his 15 load of the day.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
To be fair, they are on largely segregated cycle paths, in a country with strong presumed liability, with drivers that are used to cyclists by the thousand. We get Dodgy Dave in a tipper truck trying to make his 15 load of the day.
How does hi-viz protect you against Dodgy Dave?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Is there evidence that it portrays cycling as dangerous?
From a quick google it appears there is no interest in doing a survey about it. There are loaded surveys about whether or not it should be compulsory. By loaded I mean no indication is given with the question as to whether or not hi viz is actually beneficial, similar to helmet surveys.

However, 67% of non-cyclists in 2013 believed that it was TOO dangerous to cycle. Surely people wearing safety equipment, whether or not it is effective, has to play a part in that perception

To be fair, this thread has descended into the usual anecdotal rubbish seen over in the helmet thread of "my brother's mate's cousin's friend wouldn't be with us now if he hadn't been wearing hi viz. How can you people sleep at night wishing for someone else to be made a widow"

Also I thought openly discussing who you are ignoring resulted in a wrist slap from the Mods

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be even more pedantic... you are hoist by or with your own petard - not on it... :tongue:^_^

Extra points if you know what a petard is, without using the google.

And for knowing who famously uses the phrase and who he's referring to

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Extra points if you know what a petard is, without using the google.

And for knowing who famously uses the phrase and who he's referring to

It was a small metal drum containing explosives that would be placed with its open mouth against the wall of a fort or castle and detonated. It could easily blow up the person lighting the fuse, hence the phrase's use to mean being harmed by the very method you sought to harm others. Although I remember it was used by Shakespeare, I can't remember in which play or by which character.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It was a small metal drum containing explosives that would be placed with its open mouth against the wall of a fort or castle and detonated. It could easily blow up the person lighting the fuse, hence the phrase's use to mean being harmed by the very method you sought to harm others. Although I remember it was used by Shakespeare, I can't remember in which play or by which character.

Doesn't it also come from the French "pet" meaning to fart? Or summat like that?

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Correct !

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I saw an unlit cyclist at around 6.45pm last night. So did the car following him.

It did cross my mind however, that a couple of lights would probably be a bit more useful than his helmet.

HTH :smile:

Top Bottom