Cyclists in Oxfordshire urged to ride close to cycle lane line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

From the comments, winner of the "that won't cut the roses prize"*
Communism has failed every time it's been tried and is responsible for more deaths than any other political or religious idealology ever.

* A thing that cuts roses is a pair of secateurs. A thing that doesn't is obviously a non-secateur. It's a Shed thing.

Hey FF. In this instance I totally agree with cyclox.

I'd like read a transcript of the cycle champion's comments. Sounds like they're saying cyclist's should only stick to the space 5 inches to the left of a cycle lane white line. Cyclists should assert their road space, but drivers have to give cyclists safe space in any event.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
My Local Council can't even fit they symbol of a bike in the cycle lane so what chance do we have?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 59

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not suggesting it's good or bad advice. It might not be desirable, but is it perhaps pragmatic?

Of more interest to me, will the council accept liability if someone comes a cropper as a result of following their advice? Does Suzanne Bartington have any formal qualifications in either cycling or road safety, and is she insured to cover herself for the possible unforseen consequences of people following her advice? Pound to a pinch of cow dung she doesn't and isn't.

At least you might be able to pull closer to the kerb if someone does pass 'too closely', if you're hugging the kerb you've got nowhere to go.

Yeah - I wonder if it is a poorly presented/understood 'you shouldn't ride on the double yellows - go to the outside of the lane instead of gutter hugging' kind of message? I does astonish me how many ppl I see who seem to think they should be riding between the yellow lines...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hey FF. In this instance I totally agree with cyclox.

I'd like read a transcript of the cycle champion's comments. Sounds like they're saying cyclist's should only stick to the space 5 inches to the left of a cycle lane white line. Cyclists should assert their road space, but drivers have to give cyclists safe space in any event.
Blimey, hello!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think a lot depends on the cycle lane width, traffic, what’s to the left of the cycle-lane. I’m a pretty* experienced assertive rider so I’ll take the soace I feel necessary. However, to err on the RHS of a cycle lane rather than hogging the gutter seems a good thing to me unless the cycle-lane is pleasantly wide.

Yes. The cycle champion seems to be under the misapprehension that the painted on cycle lanes mean anything, so, 'keep within the lane'. I mostly* find myself cycling slightly to the right of the painted lines.

* except when there is queued traffic e.g. Ock St. into Abingdon

freiston

Veteran
I could be completely wrong here but I thought that one of the problems with a solid line demarcation of a cycle (or any other) lane was that vehicles are no longer deemed to be passing/overtaking where a safe distance is required but instead are in a separate flow/stream so to speak and have to keep in the lane and not cross the line - meaning that the requirement for a safe distance is less definitive than if the cycle was in the same lane or the lane was marked with a broken line. I did notice that the picture accompanying the article showed several motor vehicles straddling the solid white line.

freiston

Veteran
My Local Council can't even fit they symbol of a bike in the cycle lane so what chance do we have?
I have seen cycle lanes (on narrow roads) that are that are narrower than my handlebars - I consider them dangerous and avoid them - the only thing that makes avoiding them to be more dangerous is the driver who thinks that me not using the cycle lane gives him the right to get really dangerously close because I shouldn't be in the main lane (this is not a presumption - they have told me so).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thames Valley Police plain clothes officers on cycles are continuing to monitor ‘close passers’ and will pull over drivers who get too close.

109 comments
How will they pull them over if they're on a bicycle? "Oi you,stop"being shouted isn't going to make them stop.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thames Valley Police plain clothes officers on cycles are continuing to monitor ‘close passers’ and will pull over drivers who get too close.

109 comments
How will they pull them over if they're on a bicycle? "Oi you,stop"being shouted isn't going to make them stop.

Possibly just a number gathering exercise to see how many drivers do pass too close. Or, with the help of helmet cams, there is no need to actually stop the motorists, but a well written letter and a link to a video might help.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

109 comments
They have a radio strapped to them and they notify a nearby police car that then pulls the driver over.............

Top Bottom