Cyclists in Oxfordshire urged to ride close to cycle lane line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When there isn't a cycle lane painted on the road, I'd be cycling where the line would be anyway.
Now we've got a council advising we should be just inside the line, when really they should just remove the sodding line altogether so we can use whichever bit of the lane we feel is necessary under the circumstances.

Note... I know we can already use whichever bit of the lane we want, but these lines put out the idea that there's a bit for bikes and bit for cars... and this article/advice reinforces that nonsense.

[edited to spell advice properly]

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
From the comments, winner of the "that won't cut the roses prize"*

"Communism has failed every time it's been tried and is responsible for more deaths than any other political or religious idealology ever."

* A thing that cuts roses is a pair of secateurs. A thing that doesn't is obviously a non-secateur. It's a Shed thing.

As seen on every Corbyn thread ever, despite his politics

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When there isn't a cycle lane painted on the road, I'd be cycling where the line would be anyway.
Now we've got a council advising we should be just inside the line, when really they should just remove the sodding line altogether so we can use whichever bit of the lane we feel is necessary under the circumstances.

Note... I know we can already use whichever bit of the lane we want, but these lines put out the idea that there's a bit for bikes and bit for cars... and this article/advise reinforces that nonsense.

Seems to me that just inside the line is a terrible place to cycle as the cars will be driving up to the line, thus whacking into your elbow or handlebars. Just outside the line is far safer unless the lane is really wide (something I've never seen)
We'd be far better off without these lethal things to be honest

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My default approach is to ignore the cycle lane completely as I am yet to be convinced that paint has any magical protection powers. The advice I give my kids is ride where the cars nearside wheels have worn a path except at pinch points where they are to take the lane. That seems to work most of the time.

rugby bloke

Veteran
It's interesting to see that more and more of the magic white line cycle lanes in Central London are being removed to allow all the various road users to work it out for themselves. I don't feel that my ride to and from the station to the office has been made any more dangerous by their absence.

I think there should probably be a campaign to remove most painted on cycle lanes, as they do not contribute to cyclist safety, and arguably only have a negative impact. Often they seem only to mark out the gutter, and probably at best encourage certain drivers to close pass some cyclists.

Top Bottom