"cyclists stay back" stickers, tfl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dmcd33

If the stickers have no influence on the drivers behaviour, then why have them?

By telling me to stay back, am I supposed to fly over you?, take the lane?, go home and get my Volvo Estate V40 to further slow you down, Wait patiently behind every vehicle that has one?

My point is that the sticker implies that you are second class and should stay away from the single occupancy large vehicle that owns that piece of road, over and above your right to get to work?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If the stickers have no influence on the drivers behaviour, then why have them?

By telling me to stay back, am I supposed to fly over you?, take the lane?, go home and get my Volvo Estate V40 to further slow you down, Wait patiently behind every vehicle that has one?

My point is that the sticker implies that you are second class and should stay away from the single occupancy large vehicle that owns that piece of road, over and above your right to get to work?

This.

When I want advice on road positioning or filtering from motorists, I will ask for it.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I didn't quite hear what the nice old dear in the passenger seat of the car said to me as they drove past, I was just getting going again having barely missed being taken out by someone turning right across me. I believe it was "they were indicating, we saw it" just in case I didn't realise I was in the wrong for trying to ride along a road. If I wanted discourse with car drivers, I think I'd be told that I shouldn't be there multiple times a day...

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I would not be surprised if stickers like this just become a flag for motorists who hate cyclists to rally together in a common miasma. Every time they see another one their belief that cyclists shouldn't be in their way will simply be confirmed. With each sticker sighting their confirmation bias will concrete said belief, meaning they think like that for every mile they travel in their life :-(

EthelF

Rain God
This morning I encountered a tipper truck that had at least 5 of these stickers on it - 3 at the rear (nearside, centre and offside) and 2 on the nearside side of its cargo hold (near the front and rear), plus a 'pedestrians stay back' sign on the door. I never saw the vehicle's offside so for all I know it could have more of the same there. The implication appeared to be "do not pass on any side", which seems a trifle unreasonable to me.
I took this to be a clear adnission that the driver is utterly incompetent, and gave it a very wide berth.

I saw no company markings on the truck, but the cab was painted in the union flag, with a portrait of the queen on the door - does Prince Philip drive a tipper as well as a black cab now?

Dan B

Disengaged member
"Pedestrians stay back" on the door must pose a challenge for anyone trying to enter the vehicle, surely? Or does the driver levitate into his seat at the start of his shift?

Sadly, my backside isn't big enough to convey the message I'd like to say to the drivers of most vehicles on the road.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've got one of these on the back of my car ^_^

awesome.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
Does anyone make a sticker that has a black "70" in a red circle, with text above and below that says "Driver limited to" and "IQ points". I see a few vans that have something visually quite similar ("vehicle limited to 70 mph") but from the way they're driven it often seems not the most important thing they could use that sticker space to warn about

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I once saw a car with a No Entry sticker on one side and a Keep Right sticker on the other, which distracted me at the time.

I could easily knock up some "lorries stay back" stickers for my jersey at work. Maybe I should get a bunch made as pretty much the only time I find my self with a lorry to my side is when the lorry decides to pull up along side me. I then have to hope that he doesn't decide to turn across me.

Maybe if enough cyclists wore them the lorries might get the hint!

Top Bottom