Cyclists without lights....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

I did my first commute home in the dark (as opposed to dusk) last night. Now I know my commute to SE London from the West End is pretty well lit, but I was amazed at how many cyclists there were without any lights whatsoever. Most of them were wearing dark clothes as well, and I had a hard time seeing them, so how can we expect drivers to do the same.

Also while I'm on the subject of night cycling, does everyone else hit more potholes etc. when cycling in the dark :biggrin:? I found it quite unnerving not being able to see them as clearly as when I cycle during daylight.

Jaded

For the potholes you probably need better lights.

For the invisible cyclists, I veer between shouting at them for their stupidity and recognising that not everything on the road can have lights - so all road users should be prepared for unlit things.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
First 2 cyclists I saw when I left workk at 19:00 on Monday didn't have lights or rear reflectors. One was going along Bishopsgate which is busy enough at that time as well.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
...are silly. I nearly took out a schoolgirl last week while driving - she was to all effects invisible and I only spotted her at the last minute. I'd feel shocking if I hit anybody, irrespective of how responsible they were.

I've just strapped on some Lupine Bettys on the vanity bike for some after-dark shenanigans through the lanes of Hampshire. I don't think I can be accused of having no lights.:biggrin:;)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I rode home on Tuesday after playing 5-a-side and was very shocked to see that the road that leads to the road I live off seemed extremely dark at 7.30pm (I'm usually home by about 5pm)... it was quite unnerving and I was thinking that I must update my lights... then I finally noticed that the street lights were not working along most of the 1/2 mile stretch!! I'm amazed it took me so long to figure out what was different, I'm guessing that I must have been a bit freaked and concentrating harder to see the road and listen for other vehicles etc.

No idea whether I'd have been able to see anyone without lights on that stretch, I suspect not!! As many cyclists seem to rely on street lighting it was a real eye opener just how much we do use them.. well, for me at least!

Jake

i've been ranting about this for ages. lights are cheap as chips and so is a reflective vest thingy, £3 at market. cyclists and joggers should be wearing something. so dangerous!!

small fish

I saw a guy make an emergency stop as he nearly got taken out by a right turning car about 20 metres in front of me last night - he had no lights and as I passed him I said 'that was bit close you should get some lights' and he just said 'yeah I should... I've bought some but never got round to putting them on...'

Batch

I stuck around at work till after dusk last night as well. Didn't strike too many unlit cyclists on my London City to NW6 commute but did see a lot of joggers who were wearing clothing so black that it absorbed light

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have 2 lights. One of those a beam lowered specifically for the potholes and other crap that happens to be in the road. (have I mentioned how bad Lewisham roads are before? :evil:)

Imagine if you will the A4 just west of the Hammersmith Flyover, heading out of London at 7pm, 3 lanes of pretty fast traffic, not the most friendly of places to be especially when you're riding along at about 15mph with no lights or reflectors. That's what I came across last night. I felt obliged to ride behind this nobend for the last 1/4 mile up to the Hogarth Roundabout as his life expectancy couldn't have been very high.

Then again he was wearing a yellow jacket so he probably thought it was alright.

neslon

We have more than our fair share of ninja bikers (all black, no lights) but they all seem to be students, so can be considered consumable. The joggers are the most invisible, but as they tend to have few metal/carbon fibre components, will not damage your bike if you encounter one.

hackbike 6

Really I've just really given up caring what cyclists do now after the last two weeks.I got buttonholed tonight by a work colleague who seemed to be delighted that he had seen a couple of cyclists almost collide due to one of them red light jumping.

I had a cyclist red light jump today at Stepney Green then saw him have an altercation with a car.Wondered what was going on,it was an unmarked police car and they pulled him over.I thought I would get pleasure from this but no I didn't.I thought they should be out sorting these ahole motorists who insist on using their mobiles without noticing they are drifting from their lane into the cycle lane yet again and all the other crap motorists get up to.

No I don't like the RLJing brigade but motorists are worse.

hackbike 6 said:
Really I've just really given up caring what cyclists do now after the last two weeks.I got buttonholed tonight by a work colleague who seemed to be delighted that he had seen a couple of cyclists almost collide due to one of them red light jumping.

I solved this with one particularly vehement person....by pointing out that Harold Shipman wore black laced up shoes - as my nursing colleagues was also wearing these - I would take responsibility for other cyclists if she would take responsibility for Health care professional who murder their patients.

Seems fair to me!

Posted elsewhere - I have lights - BIG lights, a Maxx Exposure, one ofthe brightest on the market, yet a taxi still pulled out on fornt of me - because he thought I was a motorbike!

He was of the opinion that a motorcyclist would have good brakes and therefore stop!

This is the big problem - a lot of vehicles will see the lights / Hi-Viz etc and then either discount you as an irrelevance, or simply in their way. This is what needs to be dealt with. Until then thee is little point in lights!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Everywhere I look at 6a.m., are the stealth bikers. :biggrin:

I really don't know how they have the guts to ride without lights.

It's no exaggeration when I say I see only 2 out of 10 with lights. I don't get it because they aren't expensive... compared to one's safety.

Top Bottom