Dad's old 2005 hardrock mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bookish

I'm going to be changing the rear cassette on my dad's old "retro" specialized hardrock. It currently has a 7 speed 11 to 28 rear cassette. Can I change the ratio to 12 to 32 and keep the same chain length?

He isn't a high speed cyclist and I think he'd prefere a few easier climbs.
Also rear mech is an old shimano acera, would this still work with the new ratios?

I'm a maintenance novice keen to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help
Steve

No, unless the chain was too long to start off with. Shift to big in front, big at the back and look at the jockey cage angle. If it leans forward at 45 degrees or more, it is already at its limit.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
You'll have to change the chain length. Best way to judge it is to put the chain big ring front to big ring rear, plus 1 link. Do this without putting the chain through the gear mechs.

OP
OP
B

bookish

Yes I was definitely going to change the chain as a matter of course. Just wondered if I should buy an over length chain and split it or Wether there is a way of calculating exact chain length and buying off the shelf (save splitting chain links?) Sorry I should have explained myself better. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Yes I was definitely going to change the chain as a matter of course. Just wondered if I should buy an over length chain and split it or Wether there is a way of calculating exact chain length and buying off the shelf (save splitting chain links?) Sorry I should have explained myself better. Thanks for all the replies so far.
I think chains are all one length, I always have to take a few links out. Just buy a new 7 speed chain, and measure as described above, and remove unnecessary links. It's a unavoidable part of replacing a chain.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm a maintenance novice keen to learn.
OP - you don't say what size your large chainwheel is (probably a 48t), but any chain you purchase will likely be 114 or 116 half links long (it will come with a quick link - a link to join the chain up). This will be plenty long enough, and as @jefmcg says, you'll have to remove a few links (having measured your requirement using the method @Andy_R has offered). You'll need a chain tool for this: they are small, light and not expensive (I carry one every time I cycle for more than a shopping trip). Alternatively, if you visit your LBS (local bike shop) they will sell you the correct length of chain from a massive 'roll' they have (having cut it to the right length): this may actually be cheaper than online. They will sell you a quick link too, and probably fit it there and then, or show you how.

OP
OP
B

bookish

Lol I bought a 7 speed chain from bike shop today and it's a good 5" short.....back i go....must have been given an off cut :laugh:

si_c

Guru
[QUOTE 4479361, member: 259"]It's 12 years younger than my mountain bike. :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

It's 35ish years younger than one of my Pugs.

Top Bottom